Some still questions

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Abba & co has it pretty right. Read, read & read, start with the basics and go from there.

      I guess we all got information overload before we built our first still and nervous as hell actually before we set out to make a batch. Remember...."money talks, bullshit walks".

      Before you start listening to the advice of others (and you will solicit that advice to share the responsibility in case you screw up), decide what you want to do. Start simple and build from there. We have all made mistakes. From our first batch and our 10th batch. The idea is to learn. You are only investing sugar, water and yeast - not arms and legs (unless it is a real bad batch). Make a clear spirit first before you consider exotic undertakings for rum, etc.

      I decided to go to the basics which seemed to be a common thread in a lot of stuff on the 'net. It seems the information had been researched pretty good.

      I built a valved reflux still based on the plans from the net, bought Alcotec 48 hour turbo yeast, followed the instructions and with the basic information I had, produced 3 litres of 92% abv from that run. (By the way, can anyone tell me if I should or should not use an airlock in the carboy when the Alcotec is fermenting? I hear yes and no and some of the yes say fill the airlock with activated carbon. That sounds like bullshit but with the aroma like bananas, I look for King Kong each morning). By the wy, my column is 950mm and has 6 stainless steel scrubbers inside. They work a real treat. The distillate was as clear as water. Just remember, wash the pads in hot soapy water first and then hot rinse them before use. There should be no residual soao smell before use.

      In summary, stay simple and use/build/produce which you can easily control. Use this site for FUTURE inspiration and other than joining here looking for a way to start out, do not expect the forum to help with some exotic problems (like your grappa tasting terrible, your balls going blue, etc.)

      Andy

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi Andrew,
        a good summary post, but possibly more pertinent to our sister group
        new_distillers (which is a great group for NEW distillers).
        A few points:

        --- Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

        > Abba & co has it pretty right. Read, read & read, start with the
        > basics and go from there.
        >
        > I guess we all got information overload before we built our first
        > still and nervous as hell actually before we set out to make a batch.
        > Remember...."money talks, bullshit walks".
        >
        > Before you start listening to the advice of others (and you will
        > solicit that advice to share the responsibility in case you screw
        > up), decide what you want to do. Start simple and build from there.
        > We have all made mistakes. From our first batch and our 10th batch.
        > The idea is to learn. You are only investing sugar, water and yeast
        > - not arms and legs (unless it is a real bad batch).

        Or a bad still set-up!

        Make a clear
        > spirit first before you consider exotic undertakings for rum, etc.
        >
        > I decided to go to the basics which seemed to be a common thread in
        > a lot of stuff on the 'net. It seems the information had been
        > researched pretty good.
        >
        > I built a valved reflux still based on the plans from the net,
        > bought Alcotec 48 hour turbo yeast, followed the instructions and
        > with the basic information I had, produced 3 litres of 92% abv from
        > that run. (By the way, can anyone tell me if I should or should not
        > use an airlock in the carboy when the Alcotec is fermenting? I hear
        > yes and no and some of the yes say fill the airlock with activated
        > carbon.
        I use a lightly put-on lid to my fermenter bucket. The bubblers I have
        just empty themselves. DO NOT fill your bubbler with AC. If it blocks
        due to moisture you may have a bomb. And besides, all it does is stop
        the room smelling. It has no effect on the brew. I have also connected
        a hose (via drilled bung) and dipped that in a jug of water as a
        bubbler.
        Watch the temperature (don't exceed recommended) and you should
        minimise the bananas.

        That sounds like bullshit but with the aroma like bananas, I
        > look for King Kong each morning). By the wy, my column is 950mm and
        > has 6 stainless steel scrubbers inside. They work a real treat.
        Not many! I have just over 1m with (I think) 15 inside.

        The
        > distillate was as clear as water.
        Clarity goes without saying, unless you have surging up the column
        (unlikely with 6 scrubbers)

        Just remember, wash the pads in
        > hot soapy water first and then hot rinse them before use. There
        > should be no residual soao smell before use.
        Dishwasher is great.

        > In summary, stay simple and use/build/produce which you can easily
        > control. Use this site for FUTURE inspiration and other than joining
        > here looking for a way to start out, do not expect the forum to help
        > with some exotic problems (like your grappa tasting terrible, your
        > balls going blue, etc.)
        THIS forum will help with exotic problems, but new_distillers will get
        you far more responses in the case of simpler problems.
        Oh, and I think you want genitorturers@yahoogroups.com for the blue
        balls!
        Cheers
        Rob.