Effects - Commercial vs. Home

  • dcrawford010
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
      Distillation of spirits is illegal where I live, so this is a
      hypothetical question <bg> :

      Is the feeling of intoxication from home-distilled spirits different
      than that of commercial spirits? That is, do impurities in commercial
      spirits contribute to the physiologic response ('hangover' excepted)?
      (Rephrased again, could a person misjudge their degree of
      intoxication, absent the response to the impurities in commercial
      spirits?)

      DC
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
        I can generally handle my home made liqour better that purchased stuff,
        I believe that it is due to the lack of impurities thus allowing the
        body to metabolise it easier and therefore quicker.

        I wouldnt say that for a given blood alcohol reading that you feel less
        or more drunk but then again I haven't sat down and compared let alone
        measured my blood alcohol levels.

        Dean.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...> wrote:

          > I can generally handle my home made liqour better that purchased
          stuff,
          > I believe that it is due to the lack of impurities thus allowing the
          > body to metabolise it easier and therefore quicker.
          >
          > I wouldnt say that for a given blood alcohol reading that you feel
          less
          > or more drunk but then again I haven't sat down and compared let
          alone
          > measured my blood alcohol levels.
          >
          > Dean.

          Heh, why analyse the hell out of it? I'm just grateful I don't have
          to drive the porcelain bus every morning. ;-))

        • Roderick Holmes
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
            I don't believe the buzz is any more or less but the morning after is a world of difference.

            Since most of us make our cuts precise, we eliminate a lot of the by products that cause hangovers. An example when making scotch they purposely catch more tails in the distillation for flavor.

            For me, I start with 95%+ pure ethanol and cut and flavor with stuff that does not attribute to hangovers.

            The worst I have even after a heavy duty drinking session is a dry mouth in the morning. Tall glass of water before bed and one when I wake up cures all.

            OK, now back to the buzz. My vodka goes down like water, so, I do drink a lot more of it when I drink. So in theory I do get a better buzz when I drink my own stuff but it is not directly because of the chemical content. OK, maybe it is.....

            Roderick

            Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...> wrote:

            > I can generally handle my home made liqour better that purchased
            stuff,
            > I believe that it is due to the lack of impurities thus allowing the
            > body to metabolise it easier and therefore quicker.
            >
            > I wouldnt say that for a given blood alcohol reading that you feel
            less
            > or more drunk but then again I haven't sat down and compared let
            alone
            > measured my blood alcohol levels.
            >
            > Dean.

            Heh, why analyse the hell out of it? I'm just grateful I don't have
            to drive the porcelain bus every morning. ;-))

            Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

            ---------------------------------

          • Mark Wabster
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
              --- Roderick Holmes <pure95percent@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              I don't believe the buzz is any more or less but the
              morning after is a world of difference.

              I couldn't agree more. I have a friend who is allergic
              to almost everything pleasurable to mankind, and for
              whom a few glasses of wine can mean a full day
              following in great distress. As she says, the going up
              ain't worth the coming down.

              At a party a couple of years ago I got her drinking my
              finest purest vodka, with a dash of lime and soda. She
              took quite a fancy to it, and her husband poured her
              into the family car some hours later.

              She rang me a few days later and told me she was glad
              she didn't live close to me, because she could become
              quite a regular drinker if she lived in striking
              distance of my product. She was quite emphatic that
              she had never had so little after effect from a night
              on the tiles, but of course we all know and expect
              that.

              Of course as we get older we steer clear of gluggy
              sugary drinks as mixers, and those with all sorts of
              flavours and who knows what added to stretch the
              commercial products.

              Cheerz Mark.

              Never miss an Instant Message - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
              http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mweb/index.html
            • BigRon BigRon
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
                Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:18:51 -0800 (PST)
                From: Roderick Holmes

                Subject: Re: Effects - Commercial vs. Home

                Harry wrote:
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas wrote:

                > I can generally handle my home made liqour better that purchased
                stuff,
                > I believe that it is due to the lack of impurities thus allowing the
                > body to metabolise it easier and therefore quicker.
                >
                > I wouldnt say that for a given blood alcohol reading that you feel
                less
                > or more drunk but then again I haven't sat down and compared let
                alone
                > measured my blood alcohol levels.
                >
                > Dean.

                Heh, why analyse the hell out of it? I'm just grateful I don't have
                to drive the porcelain bus every morning. ;-))

                Well let me throw in a Very recent incident
                The girlfriend's son (over the legal drinking age) took a bottle of my good stuff (filtered 3 times and smooth as heck)(with out any permision)

                They had a good night at college
                got a call this morning 3 were arrested for disorderly conduct
                one of the kids were found 5 miles away from college no shoes( it is very winter here) and couldnt tell where he was and no idea how he got there. after 10 hours in lockup the kids are still not able to be released because their levels are to high.

                now this is from a normal bottle 1/5 th
                i cut 100% of my stuff to 80 proof i dont use overproof stuff
                im thinking of cutting my stuff a bit more

                i dont know what else they added to the party ie comercial but it has made me think about who recieves any of my product in the future

                just thought id throw that in