RE:small still

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
      Most people go the other way.
      Strip it in the big still and use the little one for the other run but no reason why you couldn't do both runs in the same still with slightly different column setups.
      In my experience the little stills would be good for testing or boutique stuff but on a big wash run you need a decent sized setup.
      good luck mate
      leigh

      Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:12:01 +1100 (EST)
      From: Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...>
      Subject: small still

      Hi everyone,

      I have built a valved reflux still based on plans and info from "Building a home distillation apparatus". It works good but takes a long time to get to the 78degree Celsius mark as one puts through 25 litres of wash.

      What I am looking for is a design for a small, say 5 litre still that I can use to pre-distill and then say take 25 litres of pre-distilled liquid to the big still.

      I have been looking around but unfortunately Tony is still off the air www.homedistiller.org

      Some plans use a heating element in a boiler made of plastic. Not that I am worried about bringing some heads into the pre-distill but I AM more worried about what may leech out of a plastic bucket when 50-60 degree Celsius alcohol gets to working on it.

      Anybody got any plans or tips where to look for building a small still?

      Thanks in advance.

      Andy
      bwyze44