My Spiced Rum Recipe - maybe one for Wal.

  • rimfire_rifle
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2005
      As a new distiller I have been concentrating on Rums and spiced
      rum. I am pleased to say that I am now happy with my runs and my
      recipe. It is all thanks to a lot of information from you guys and
      girls, so I thought I would put a bit back, especially to Wal who
      has posted masses of recipes and helpful tips. If you are interested
      in a spiced rum for Christmas this may be of use. 1 gallon of 49%
      Rum base, sat on blowtorched charred oak, 10 fingers 15mmx15mmx150mm
      long, (for the record I used 100 year old stuff from my barn, it's
      made of Quercus robur, but any old seasoned oak will probably do,
      mine was just 'well seasoned') Add 0.5 teaspoon per litre of
      glycerine (Thanks for the tip Rob!). Leave for 3 weeks or until the
      base colour and oak flavour is right. Now leave the oak in and add 6
      drops pure vanilla extract - not essence, or beans if you can find
      them, I couldn't. 15 whole cloves, 15 black peppercorns, 4 whole
      star anise; (the whole lot - an 8 star spider shaped thing, no
      more!!!), 3 fingernail sized small 'heaps' of powdered nutmeg, 9
      thin (10mm x 1mm thick x 150mm long in my case) of cinammon sticks,
      (they vary a lot in size etc, mine were Chinese and fairly flat as
      opposed to the normal tube). I let it all infuse for just 4 days
      and it was spot on, the Star anise has quite a strong flavour but it
      is counteracted by the cinammon and cloves. It has balanced nicely -
      any longer and I think it would be too much like Anise / Pastis. Now
      it is just right and I am well happy. Christmas is coming and the
      goose is getting fat....Rimfire - with new Bull Mastiff Puppy
      now, 'Topaz' :-)