Malting corn.

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21 8:28 PM
      I have a pellet stove that is designed to burn wood pellets (ti came
      with the house).

      I have been having problems finding the pellets, and thought they
      would burn corn as well. Sure enough, there is a section in the
      manual on conversion to corn.

      I need the adapter, but am burning corn in the mean time.

      This brings me to the corn. Dehusked corn.
      Pruina Grain Land whole corn.
      Guaranteed Analysis
      Crude Protein (MIN) 7.5%
      Crude fats (min)2.5%
      Crude Fiber (Max) 3%

      So, it looks like 87% or so starch?

      I figure if it is good enought o feed to deer and elk, it might malt.

      So, I have two pounds soaking in warm water.

      I'll let you know how/if it works.

      $5.10 USD for a 50# bag.

      Sven
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22 5:04 AM
        Sven,
        The malting of corn is possible, but you are looking for high
        Diastatic power... the alpha and beta amalyse enzymes to break the
        larger starch particles into fermentable sugars. You can skip the
        malting process and use a small amount of 6 row barley malt (very
        high diastatic power), a ratio of 10 to 1 will work fine. This is
        what brewers of beer use (I'm talking about budweiser .. light
        lagers) If you stll want to malt the corn, dry it when the endosperm
        of the corn is about 1/4" long. that will give you the best
        diastatic power. Then mill it. Boil this milled corn to burst the
        starch molecules, drain off most of the liquid and you are ready to
        mash. Use the lower end of the mashing temp... about 150 F. Mash
        until starch in convrted, about 2 - 3 hours.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22 12:25 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bad930s@h...> wrote:

          > Sven,
          > The malting of corn is possible, but you are looking for high
          > Diastatic power... the alpha and beta amalyse enzymes to break the
          > larger starch particles into fermentable sugars.
          <snip>

          Hi Bill,
          I'm sure Sven knows all this. He's an old brewer from way back.
          Check out the Ironhead Nano-brewery...
          http://thegimp.8k.com

          Methinks you & "Sven" will have much to share. ;-)
          But your info is good for others, just the same.

          Moderator