Women Distillers

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      I noticed from photos that it is the women who make beverages and
      spirits in Africa and the West Indies. The next time you put you pot
      in an outer pan containing water to give an even heat i.e. a double
      boiler or water bath, you are using something used by a school of
      Alexandrian alchemists in the late 3 B.C. Among these alchemists were
      Maria the Jewess and a certain Cleopatra. Maria invented many types
      of stills and reflux condensers. Balneum Mariae (Latin), Bagna Maria
      (Italian), Bain-marie (French) or Mary's Bath is named after her.
      Maria was interested in practical chemical processes and thus was
      close to today's chemical engineers.
      So today's women distillers have a great role model!

      Wal
    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
        << I noticed from photos that it is the women who make beverages and spirits
        in Africa and the West Indies . . . So today's women distillers have a great
        role model! >>

        In most, if not all, ancient societies, the brewing of beer and other
        alcoholic beverages was the exclusive domain of women brewsters. Among
        primitive cultures today beer is still being brewed only by women. All
        ancient cultures, including Egyptian, Mesopotamian and Sumerian, credit
        brewing as a gift from a goddess.

        Your Brother in Magick,
        David M. Cunningham
        email@...

        NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
        intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
        which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
        otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
        transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
        forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
        telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
      • Strounge
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2001
          > In most, if not all, ancient societies, the brewing of beer and other
          > alcoholic beverages was the exclusive domain of women brewsters. Among
          > primitive cultures today beer is still being brewed only by women.

          Out of curiosity has anyone tried the traditional ancient method of converting starch to sugar by using our own enzymes - you get the women of the village to chew the source be it cassava, maize or whatever and spit it out into buckets to ferment. In todays climate of equality I'd suggest that the men could join in- and maybe it could be the women's turn to try drinking the stuff.... ( pulque apparently comes out lumpy, pink and smells like vomit)

          feeling slightly queezy all of a sudden,
          Strounge