Freezing

  • glen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      Anyone who is newish to distilling might find articles on freezing alcohol kind of interesting.  Of course Tony's web site is where i read it!
    • tommcswiggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
        anyone have experience with freezing the ethanol to remove a slight
        moonshine smell, I am distilling at 95% and diluting to 45% with
        distilled water, and have been using charcoal which I find messy,
        if freezing works does product have to be filtered. I have double
        distilled its more trouble, with a loss of product, I just have to
        remove a little bad taste thanks Tom
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tommcswiggan"
          <tommcswiggan@y...> wrote:
          > anyone have experience with freezing the ethanol to remove a
          slight
          > moonshine smell, I am distilling at 95% and diluting to 45% with
          > distilled water, and have been using charcoal which I find messy,
          > if freezing works does product have to be filtered. I have double
          > distilled its more trouble, with a loss of product, I just have to
          > remove a little bad taste thanks Tom

          Hi Tom,
          Freezing won't do it. In 99% of cases, odours are the acidic
          byproducts of microbe or bacterial action in the wort. Neutralise
          the acid, and you neutralise the odour. That's why bi-carb in the
          fridge works. Try a little bi-carb in the wash, about 2 or 3 heaped
          tablespoons per 20 litres. You may also need to look at how you are
          building your wort. If using grain adjuncts, then a certain amount
          of bacteria is unavoidable, and in some cases (whisky) is desirable
          as it adds to the distinctive flavour profile. If using all sugar
          wort, then you may have to look at better sterilising techniques to
          minimise bacteria activity.

          HTH