Re: [Distillers] slivovitz

  • AuntyEthyl
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      Tony and Jack,

      Working on the supplied figures of 8 pounds of Plums
      to 2 gals water and the fact that plums are about 11%
      sugar.
      That equates to about 0.88 pounds of sugar to 2 gals
      of water and a starting specific gravity (original
      gravity) of 1.020.
      Even with a final gravity of 0.990 (what we all aim
      for) it equates to about 2.6 % Alc by Vol.

      So distilled out to about 40% you'd end up with a
      0.125 of a gal (2oz).... ie: not much.

      Adding about 2 3/4 pounds of table sugar will give an
      og of 1.084, an excellent start, and finish up around
      11%. This should yeild about 1/4gal @ 88%.

      AuntyEthyl

      --- Tony & Elle Ackland

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1