Fruit Acid and Sugar

  • AuntyEthyl
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
      Further to Wal's excellent info,
      the following link is an excellent resource for sugar
      and acid content of various types of fruit.

      http://hbd.org/brewery/library/SugAcid.html

      AuntyEthyl

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
    • AuntyEthyl
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
        Hi All,

        Thanx for the replies so far, but as yet, I'm not sure
        if I have the answer.

        Some suggestions were
        > Sugar content of comercial Bourbon.

        I took this as disolved sugar in the spirit, and as
        this would be easy to test I will give it a try and
        let you all know.
        I have noticed that some bourbons do taste somewhat
        sweet. However I think it would be hard for the small
        sugar content of the bourbon to compete against the
        large sugar content of the mixer.

        > Sugar content releasing CO2 and causing foam. ie:
        drop a tsp of sugar into Coke.

        This one I think has more to do with providing
        "nucleation sites" for the CO2 to escape. As in the
        rough edges of the undisolved sugar crystals allow the
        CO2 to escape out of solution easier. The same effect
        can be seen with a tsp of salt or sand.. etc.

        In Beer there is an compound that actually binds the
        bubbles together to form the head. And recently
        scientist have gentically modified beer yeast to
        create more of this compound during fermentation.

        So I guess I'm wondering..
        could it be a byproduct of aging in oak barrels?
        is it a compound found in corn, and we don't see it
        cos we mostly use sugar.?

        Have thse who have made a corn wash noticed bubbles in
        there bourbon when mixing with coke, as oppposed to
        bourbon made with a sugar wash and flavoring.

        Thanx again to those whom replied. All input is
        appreciated.

        Still in Wonder

        AuntyEthyl

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • Tom Cormack
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
          I was thinking about the CO2 aspect and wonder if the bubbles in commercial
          bourbon only occur when coke is added by postmix machines or from the bottle
          as well - I to am now perplexed by this revelation

          Tom
          > Thanx for the replies so far, but as yet, I'm not sure
          > if I have the answer.
          >
          > Some suggestions were
          > > Sugar content of comercial Bourbon.
          >
          > I took this as disolved sugar in the spirit, and as
          > this would be easy to test I will give it a try and
          > let you all know.
          > I have noticed that some bourbons do taste somewhat
          > sweet. However I think it would be hard for the small
          > sugar content of the bourbon to compete against the
          > large sugar content of the mixer.
          >
          > > Sugar content releasing CO2 and causing foam. ie:
          > drop a tsp of sugar into Coke.
          >
          > This one I think has more to do with providing
          > "nucleation sites" for the CO2 to escape. As in the
          > rough edges of the undisolved sugar crystals allow the
          > CO2 to escape out of solution easier. The same effect
          > can be seen with a tsp of salt or sand.. etc.
          >
          > In Beer there is an compound that actually binds the
          > bubbles together to form the head. And recently
          > scientist have gentically modified beer yeast to
          > create more of this compound during fermentation.
          >
          > So I guess I'm wondering..
          > could it be a byproduct of aging in oak barrels?
          > is it a compound found in corn, and we don't see it
          > cos we mostly use sugar.?
          >
          > Have thse who have made a corn wash noticed bubbles in
          > there bourbon when mixing with coke, as oppposed to
          > bourbon made with a sugar wash and flavoring.
          >
          > Thanx again to those whom replied. All input is
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Still in Wonder
          >
          > AuntyEthyl

          $8.95/month.
          > http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
            There might also be something modifying the surface tension, and hence
            changing the amount of energy required for the bubbles to form

            Tony
          • AuntyEthyl
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
              Hi Tom,

              I'm fairly sure that the bubbles occur both with post
              mix and bottled varieties of cola.

              Its an old bartenders trick in remebering which of the
              four coke mixed drinks was the bourbon. There's that
              slight ring of foam around the edge of the fluid
              level.
              Doesn't happen with scotch, brandy etc.

              Which probably means it has something to do with the
              corn.?

              Tony may be onto something with the comment re:
              changes to the surface tension.

              Also Perplexed
              AuntyEthyl

              --- Tom Cormack <tcormack@...> wrote:
              > I was thinking about the CO2 aspect and wonder if
              > the bubbles in commercial
              > bourbon only occur when coke is added by postmix
              > machines or from the bottle
              > as well - I to am now perplexed by this revelation
              >
              > Tom

              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
            • G&N
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
                I mixed put a teaspoon of sugar in an essence based bourbon to try and
                modify the flavour and it to gave a foam type of rection to the drink so
                maybe it is sugar that is in commecial based bourbon.

                Glenn