first run

  • Brian Adams
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi. i tested out my first built still today with just some water. there are
      many spot that leak around the solder and since it is just made with an
      8litre stainless steel pot, it leaks steam all around the lid. how can i
      seal the leaks around the solder perminently and what can i use to seal the
      lid temporarily for every run?

      Brian

    • Tarvus
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
        what can i use to seal the
        lid temporarily for every run?

        A bit of white bread and water kneaded into a dough like paste works
        as a good temporary seal. Use it like a putty. It will dry but
        retain an airtight seal.

        regards,
        Tar
      • Dick
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
          In message <9pgjdl+mba9@...>, Tarvus
          <tarvus@...> writes
          > what can i use to seal the
          > lid temporarily for every run?

          Hi Tarvus,

          A length of thin walled silicon rubber tubing, slit length ways and fitted round
          the edge of the lid works for me. I originally had a length of non-silicon rubber
          but this seemed to shrink with the heat of a couple of runs, not a problem
          since changing.
          --
          Dick
          Fra' Auld Reekie
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
            << how can i seal the leaks around the solder perminently and what can i use
            to seal the lid temporarily for every run? >>

            For the solder leaks you can use food grade silicone to seal up those leaks.
            The silicone can take very extreme heat changes. It, for the most part, is
            rather useful for "permanent" solutions. You can, however, remove it if you
            goof up or decide to change your still a bit.

            For the lid you have many choices, but here again I am a big fan of food
            grade silicone adhesive. This is one way that you could seal your lid:

            1) With everything empty, run a thin coat of white petroleum jelly around
            the boiler edge and the lid's edge (you know, where the two items meet?).
            After doing that, run a thin bead of the silicone in the same place that you
            had placed the petroleum jelly. Now attach the lid to the boiler,
            sandwiching the silicone, and let it sit and cure for at least 24 hours.

            After the 24 hours, remove the lid. You now have a silicone "washer" that
            you can remove. The petroleum jelly needs to be washed off of the lid,
            boiler, and your new silicone ring. The petroleum jelly was used so that the
            silicone didn't stick to the lid or the boiler.

            There are a few other methods, but this should work for you. If I remember
            correctly, Tony has a few other silicone tricks on his web site that were
            contributed by other people. I have used and recommend one of the methods
            listed on there. Check it out at www.homedistiller.org/materials.htm#seals

            I hope this helped

            Your Brother in Magick,
            David M. Cunningham
            email@...

            NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
            intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
            which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
            otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
            transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
            forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
            telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
          • wonkothesanemk1
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 15, 2003
              Just finished my first run on the reflux still. 25l of sugar-turbo
              at 18%,returned 4.5l at 83%, not bad for a first effort. A few things
              to fix before the next time, a bit of a vapour leak at the top of the
              boiler meant that the angels got more than their fair share, greedy
              little bastards.It tastes quite good after cutting to 40%, now
              sitting on carbon before doing the tube filter thing.
              Anyone recommend any good essences ?

              wonko
            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 15, 2003
                if using essences id redistill it again unless it tastes ok mixed
                right now.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wonkothesanemk1"
                <wonkothesanemk1@y...> wrote:
                > Just finished my first run on the reflux still. 25l of sugar-turbo
                > at 18%,returned 4.5l at 83%, not bad for a first effort. A few
                things
                > to fix before the next time, a bit of a vapour leak at the top of
                the
                > boiler meant that the angels got more than their fair share, greedy
                > little bastards.It tastes quite good after cutting to 40%, now
                > sitting on carbon before doing the tube filter thing.
                > Anyone recommend any good essences ?
                >
                > wonko
              • dmcoates2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2003
                  i recently made my first run with my newly build valved reflux
                  still, id like to post my results for input. i light my burner and
                  in 20min the still reached 79 deg. . I let the still equilibrite for
                  one hour on full reflux, then drew of foreshoots 60ml, then let the
                  still go back on full reflux for thanother 30min. i started drawing
                  off distiate at 25ml a min @ 92% . the still sat at 79deg for 4 hr.
                  producing just over 3L. I Started form 20L of 16% wash. then still
                  started raising in temp after 4 hr. i spoted collecting at 82C, did
                  i stop to soon? then distiate was 75%. i really dont want any tails.
                  i did not to a stripping run i am happy with 92%,or should i do a
                  sriping run how would it benafit me . any input on the first run
                  numbers would be great.
                  thanks
                • bertsaal
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2003
                    It's allways better when you strip first.
                    No problems with foaming, produkt is higher in alcohol and tast better.
                    you can put some soda to the second run and you don't have to fear the tail at all
                    bert

                    i recently made my first run with my newly build valved reflux
                    still, id like to post my results for input. i light my burner and
                    in 20min the still reached 79 deg. . I let the still equilibrite for
                    one hour on full reflux, then drew of foreshoots 60ml, then let the
                    still go back on full reflux for thanother 30min. i started drawing
                    off distiate at 25ml a min @ 92% . the still sat at 79deg for 4 hr.
                    producing just over 3L. I Started form 20L of 16% wash. then still
                    started raising in temp after 4 hr. i spoted collecting at 82C, did
                    i stop to soon? then distiate was 75%. i really dont want any tails.
                    i did not to a stripping run i am happy with 92%,or should i do a
                    sriping run how would it benafit me . any input on the first run
                    numbers would be great.
                    thanks

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • stronkus2003
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
                      Hi, How was the quality of Your juice? My experience is that either
                      You run directly from tha mash as You have done but in that case it
                      is very hard to get a quality high enough and in that case You
                      probably need to use carbon.

                      The other way is to distill twice and make a first quick run and
                      collect everything and then do a second more elaborate run and
                      collect heads, main and tails as You have done.

                      Me I prefer to make a run directly from mash as You have done and
                      then polish it with carbon. If done properly You will get very high
                      quality.

                      Regards

                      Stronk

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dmcoates2000" <dmcoates2000@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > i recently made my first run with my newly build valved reflux
                      > still, id like to post my results for input. i light my burner and
                      > in 20min the still reached 79 deg. . I let the still equilibrite
                      for
                      > one hour on full reflux, then drew of foreshoots 60ml, then let the
                      > still go back on full reflux for thanother 30min. i started drawing
                      > off distiate at 25ml a min @ 92% . the still sat at 79deg for 4 hr.
                      > producing just over 3L. I Started form 20L of 16% wash. then still
                      > started raising in temp after 4 hr. i spoted collecting at 82C, did
                      > i stop to soon? then distiate was 75%. i really dont want any
                      tails.
                      > i did not to a stripping run i am happy with 92%,or should i do a
                      > sriping run how would it benafit me . any input on the first run
                      > numbers would be great.
                      > thanks
                    • David Lunsford
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 29, 2004
                        I never even thouth about pressure buildup in the boiler, but the
                        thought is scary.....I have slip-fit connections and a silicon plug glued
                        on, although it is on top of the column I never considered pressure
                        build-up in the boiler...Dave