RE: [Distillers] slivovitz

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      With regard to recipes for fruit batches, if you use only the ripest of
      fruit (thats when the sugar count is highest), and you know how to use a
      hydrometer, ensure that after adding all the fruit, and puplping it down,
      adding water, and letting it "steep" for a while, aim for an original
      gravity of say 1080, ferment that out,when this has fermented down to 990,
      you should have a wash of around 11-12%. Distill this off, but keep a litre
      or so of the wash, and use this to "flavour" your brew.Just add in small
      quantities, to taste.
      Pete

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
        Tony and Jack,

        Working on the supplied figures of 8 pounds of Plums
        to 2 gals water and the fact that plums are about 11%
        sugar.
        That equates to about 0.88 pounds of sugar to 2 gals
        of water and a starting specific gravity (original
        gravity) of 1.020.
        Even with a final gravity of 0.990 (what we all aim
        for) it equates to about 2.6 % Alc by Vol.

        So distilled out to about 40% you'd end up with a
        0.125 of a gal (2oz).... ie: not much.

        Adding about 2 3/4 pounds of table sugar will give an
        og of 1.084, an excellent start, and finish up around
        11%. This should yeild about 1/4gal @ 88%.

        AuntyEthyl

        --- Tony & Elle Ackland

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1