Corrections to rough guide

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Working from first principles I got overloaded with figures and
      slipped up again. Please correct-
      FRUIT - Grapes contain the ideal sugar, water, acid balance. A sugar
      content of 17-23% and a water content of about 80%. 8kg of grapes
      produces 5l of wine.
      Most common fruits (apples, plums, apricots) contain about 10% sugar
      and 85% water. Cherries and figs contain 15% sugar. A fruit mash
      could be 4kg fruit, (400g sugar content), 2l water (3l in pulp
      already), 800g additional sugar.
      Bananas are 17-24% sugar, 75% water. Acid content 0.3%. A banana mash
      could be 4kg of cooked bananas, 2l water (3l in pulp already),400g
      sugar. Add 3lemons/5l for correct pH.
      Dates are 70% sugar, 20% water. Add acid to a date mash.
      Raisins and sultanas have a water content of about 15% and a sugar
      content of 60%, grapes have a water content of 75% and a sugar
      content of about 20%, so using 1.5-2kg/5l of water appears about
      right if we want to reconstitute them.
      ACID - 5g of citric acid (1tsp)/5l must raises acidity by 0.1%.
      3g of calcium carbonate powder lowers acidity by 0.1%.
      A pH of 5 is 0.4% acidity. Winemakers aim for 0.6% acidity. Most
      common fruits are about 0.6% acid content. For distilling, a higher
      acidity in the mash helps to suppress bacteria. A high tannin content
      doesn't matter as we are not making wine.
      Meaurements are logarithmic, so a pH of 4 is 10 times more acidic
      than a pH of 5.

      Wal