Re: [Distillers] Rough guide to quantity. Acid Wash

  • AuntyEthyl
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
      Thanx Yet again Wal for excellent content.

      Just my 2 bits.

      Around my parts the Water Board likes to keep its
      water really alkaline ie: about 8.2 pH.

      Well after a couple of Slow starting/sluggish washes
      using quality Turbo's, even tho I have brewed a bit of
      Beer and Wine, I came to the realisation that I needed
      to add some acid to my wash to keep the yeasties
      happy.
      I don't actually have a pH meter, and I incorrectly
      assumed the Turbo would have all it needs for a happy
      ferment. But, of course, the only thing they can't
      allow for in the Turbo is what your water pH is.

      So I added approx 1 Tablespoon of Citric Acid to a
      25l/6Gal wash and presto... extremely happy yeasties
      and fermetation. Works extremely well for my water.

      AuntyEthyl

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
        I cant answer your question but it is something that i have always wondered
        about myself so i look foward to an answer to your question!!!

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
        • AuntyEthyl
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
            Further to Wal's excellent info,
            the following link is an excellent resource for sugar
            and acid content of various types of fruit.

            http://hbd.org/brewery/library/SugAcid.html

            AuntyEthyl

            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
          • AuntyEthyl
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
              Hi All,

              Thanx for the replies so far, but as yet, I'm not sure
              if I have the answer.

              Some suggestions were
              > Sugar content of comercial Bourbon.

              I took this as disolved sugar in the spirit, and as
              this would be easy to test I will give it a try and
              let you all know.
              I have noticed that some bourbons do taste somewhat
              sweet. However I think it would be hard for the small
              sugar content of the bourbon to compete against the
              large sugar content of the mixer.

              > Sugar content releasing CO2 and causing foam. ie:
              drop a tsp of sugar into Coke.

              This one I think has more to do with providing
              "nucleation sites" for the CO2 to escape. As in the
              rough edges of the undisolved sugar crystals allow the
              CO2 to escape out of solution easier. The same effect
              can be seen with a tsp of salt or sand.. etc.

              In Beer there is an compound that actually binds the
              bubbles together to form the head. And recently
              scientist have gentically modified beer yeast to
              create more of this compound during fermentation.

              So I guess I'm wondering..
              could it be a byproduct of aging in oak barrels?
              is it a compound found in corn, and we don't see it
              cos we mostly use sugar.?

              Have thse who have made a corn wash noticed bubbles in
              there bourbon when mixing with coke, as oppposed to
              bourbon made with a sugar wash and flavoring.

              Thanx again to those whom replied. All input is
              appreciated.

              Still in Wonder

              AuntyEthyl

              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
            • Tom Cormack
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                I was thinking about the CO2 aspect and wonder if the bubbles in commercial
                bourbon only occur when coke is added by postmix machines or from the bottle
                as well - I to am now perplexed by this revelation

                Tom
                > Thanx for the replies so far, but as yet, I'm not sure
                > if I have the answer.
                >
                > Some suggestions were
                > > Sugar content of comercial Bourbon.
                >
                > I took this as disolved sugar in the spirit, and as
                > this would be easy to test I will give it a try and
                > let you all know.
                > I have noticed that some bourbons do taste somewhat
                > sweet. However I think it would be hard for the small
                > sugar content of the bourbon to compete against the
                > large sugar content of the mixer.
                >
                > > Sugar content releasing CO2 and causing foam. ie:
                > drop a tsp of sugar into Coke.
                >
                > This one I think has more to do with providing
                > "nucleation sites" for the CO2 to escape. As in the
                > rough edges of the undisolved sugar crystals allow the
                > CO2 to escape out of solution easier. The same effect
                > can be seen with a tsp of salt or sand.. etc.
                >
                > In Beer there is an compound that actually binds the
                > bubbles together to form the head. And recently
                > scientist have gentically modified beer yeast to
                > create more of this compound during fermentation.
                >
                > So I guess I'm wondering..
                > could it be a byproduct of aging in oak barrels?
                > is it a compound found in corn, and we don't see it
                > cos we mostly use sugar.?
                >
                > Have thse who have made a corn wash noticed bubbles in
                > there bourbon when mixing with coke, as oppposed to
                > bourbon made with a sugar wash and flavoring.
                >
                > Thanx again to those whom replied. All input is
                > appreciated.
                >
                > Still in Wonder
                >
                > AuntyEthyl

                $8.95/month.
                > http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                  There might also be something modifying the surface tension, and hence
                  changing the amount of energy required for the bubbles to form

                  Tony
                • AuntyEthyl
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                    Hi Tom,

                    I'm fairly sure that the bubbles occur both with post
                    mix and bottled varieties of cola.

                    Its an old bartenders trick in remebering which of the
                    four coke mixed drinks was the bourbon. There's that
                    slight ring of foam around the edge of the fluid
                    level.
                    Doesn't happen with scotch, brandy etc.

                    Which probably means it has something to do with the
                    corn.?

                    Tony may be onto something with the comment re:
                    changes to the surface tension.

                    Also Perplexed
                    AuntyEthyl

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
                      I mixed put a teaspoon of sugar in an essence based bourbon to try and
                      modify the flavour and it to gave a foam type of rection to the drink so
                      maybe it is sugar that is in commecial based bourbon.

                      Glenn