Re: [Distillers] Re: Need input on a recipe

  • Roderick Holmes
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2005
      From a distiller:

      All that artificial stuff does not sound good to me. I distill at 95% pure, cut to 50% and then let 1 liter of "vodka" sit on a basket of sliced fresh strawberries with 1/8 cup of sugar for one month in a mason jar. Turns a nice red color and has a nice taste.

      Roderick

      Steve Knipmeyer <sdk@...> wrote:
      The reipe is as follows for a 20 liter batch

      > 10lbs white sugar
      > 1 Qt. Strawbery Jam
      > 1 12 oz bottle strawberry syrup
      > 8 packs strawberry coolaid ( The kind you add sugar to)
      > 4 tablespoons non-sulphered mollasses
      > 3 packs rapid rise yeast.

      my background is winemaking ..... trying to learn distilling. As a
      wine maker I would ditch the syrup and koolaid and stick with adding
      two more quarts of Smuckers quality perserves. I have made tasty
      wine from high quality perserves. The manufactuers do a good job of
      concentrating the flavors. I would also add a couple teaspoons of
      yeast nutrient. Just check to make sure there is no potasium sorbate
      in perserves. I have found it is sometimes helpful to make the must
      or wort with just sugar and other ingredients and then add the
      suspected perservative containing items after 24 hours when the
      yeasties are at full strenght and raring to go!
      Steve

      Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china