Re: [Distillers] Re: peated malt = yellow distilate?

  • Peter Angus
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Regarding my problem, Harry wrote:

      > Sounds like a combination of two things, 1...driving the still too
      > hard for grain-based wash (foaming?). 2...Suspended solids in the
      > wash (yeast, trub etc). Of course you know the remedy for both
      > these situations.

      I did get foaming. This is normal for my set-up and not a problem as I
      always do a good second run anyway. This was not the cause of the yellow
      colour or burned odour.

      Trub has never been a problem for me in all the years I've been boiling
      all-grain beer. The only new thing with this batch was the peated malt. I've
      done runs previously with standard malted barley without a problem. However,
      I also pitched a larger quantity of yeast than usual and noticed some got
      transferred into the pot still.

      I'm running the second good run as we speak, and it is crystal clear. So I
      guess it was a yeast problem. If it were tar (condensed smoke products) from
      the peating process it could reasonably be expected to remain in the second
      run too. Maybe......

      Happily the burned taste has all but disappeared too.

      Cheers
      Peter