Rough guide to recipe quantities

  • walter jacobson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      Ideally pH and S.G. should be measured with instruments. For home distillation this is not always necessary. I have collected the following figures which I find useful in formulating  recipes.
      SUGAR - Wine yeasts can use no more than 2.5lbs sugar/imp gal or 2.2lbs/U.S. gal or 1.25kg sugar/5l mash or must.
      honey, malt are 80% sugar - use 1.5kg/5l
      grain malt - 60% sugar
      cooked grain grist - 60% starch which can be converted to sugar by enzymes
      maple syrup - 32% sugar
      sugar cane juice - 15% sugar
      sugar beets - 15% sugar
      molasses  - 50% sugar - use 2.5kg/5l
      carob beans - 40% sugar
      raisins - 60% sugar - to reconstitute fresh grapes - use 2kg/5l water
      FRUIT - Grapes contain the ideal sugar (24%), acid and water content, and can be used as guide to adjusting other fruit mashes. 8kg of fresh grapes produce 5l of wine. i.e 8kg of grapes contain approx. 3kg solids, 5l water, 1kg sugar.
      Most common fruits (apples, plums, apricots) contain about 10% sugar. Cherries and figs contain 15%. A fruit mash could then be 4kg fruit (400g sugar),  4l water (1l in fruit already), 800g aditional sugar. Add 600g sugar for cherries and figs.
      Bananas are 20% sugar. A banana mash could be 4kg cooked bananas, 4l water, 400g sugar. Add juice 3 lemons/5l for correct pH.
      ACID - The ideal pH for a distilling mash is 5 , which equates to 4g acid/litre or 0.5tsp or 1 lemon/litre. Most fruits contain 0.6% acid so diluting with an equal weight of water gives us the correct pH. Bananas only have a pH of 0.3% so additional acid is required.

      Wal
      P.S. Please send corrections