Tonka beans (Coumarouna odorata)

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      In the interests of accuracy I incoorectly stated in the vermouth
      recipe that tonka beans contain thujone - they don't. Apparently they
      are a narcotic and a cardiac - in large doses they can paralyse the
      heart! The aromatic coumarin content is an anticoagulant (blood
      thinner). Seeds soaked in rum is used by Creoles as a medicine. It
      also contains salicylic acid which explains its antipyretic use.

      Wal