Keg Filler

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
      Kegs have a concave bottom which means you need a lot of water to
      cover an internal element. For example, mine needs 12 ltrs. This is no
      problem for first distills but is a problem for second ones. I would
      prefer 6 ltrs or less. I only do sugar washes.

      I have been tossing around ideas for filling the void somewhat and
      came up with two bricks! Only 6 ltrs needed to cover the element. Can
      anyone see any problem with using bricks? Can/do they leach salts or
      other bad stuff?? Would a good boil up sort them out? Does their
      porosity present a problem?

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x...>
        wrote:

        > Kegs have a concave bottom which means you need a lot of water to
        > cover an internal element. For example, mine needs 12 ltrs. This is
        no
        > problem for first distills but is a problem for second ones. I would
        > prefer 6 ltrs or less. I only do sugar washes.
        >
        > I have been tossing around ideas for filling the void somewhat and
        > came up with two bricks! Only 6 ltrs needed to cover the element. Can
        > anyone see any problem with using bricks? Can/do they leach salts or
        > other bad stuff?? Would a good boil up sort them out? Does their
        > porosity present a problem?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Lindsay.

        Broken clay pottery is commonly used as boiling chips to stop
        the 'bump' associated with no sharp edges in a boiling vessel. Bricks
        are clay, so I can't really see a problem.

        Moderator