malted barley grain

  • Boggin Bob
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
      I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain used for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
      Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how is it different.
      I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type deal.

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
        That seems very strange to me. Although Scotch
        distillers sometimes use peat dried malted barley,
        it's still malted barley. Until the advent of enzyme
        additions and the use of large proportions of unmalted
        barley (albeit in the cheaper blends) they used
        "highly modified" malt because they carried out a
        simple infusion mash. That is they used 2-row "ale"
        malt.
        I suppose if you used undermodified malts (eg pilsner
        malt) you might run into problems of lower than
        desired yield, and poor runoff from the mash tun. But
        then, if this is your first time using malted grains
        it might well happen whatever grains you use.
        I suspect misinformation, but am prepared to be
        corrected.
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@...> wrote:

        > I have recently been advised that the pre malted
        > barley grain used for the making of beer is no good
        > for the manafacture of bourbon or whisky. Can
        > anyone shed some light on this for me please.
        > Is the malting of barley different for beer or
        > whisky if so how is it different.
        > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail
        > and error type deal.

        > removed]

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
          You are spot on. No correction needed. Like you said peat dried
          barley will have a smokey flavor. My LHBS carries peat moked malt,
          maybe yours does too.

          Todd K.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

          > That seems very strange to me. Although Scotch
          > distillers sometimes use peat dried malted barley,
          > it's still malted barley. Until the advent of enzyme
          > additions and the use of large proportions of unmalted
          > barley (albeit in the cheaper blends) they used
          > "highly modified" malt because they carried out a
          > simple infusion mash. That is they used 2-row "ale"
          > malt.
          > I suppose if you used undermodified malts (eg pilsner
          > malt) you might run into problems of lower than
          > desired yield, and poor runoff from the mash tun. But
          > then, if this is your first time using malted grains
          > it might well happen whatever grains you use.
          > I suspect misinformation, but am prepared to be
          > corrected.
          > Cheers,
          > Rob.
          >

          > --- Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > I have recently been advised that the pre malted
          > > barley grain used for the making of beer is no good
          > > for the manafacture of bourbon or whisky. Can
          > > anyone shed some light on this for me please.
          > > Is the malting of barley different for beer or
          > > whisky if so how is it different.
          > > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail
          > > and error type deal.

          > > removed]
          > >

          > Cheers,
          > Rob.
          >

          > __________________________________
          > http://farechase.yahoo.com

        • Sven Pfitt
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
            While there are a number of different malted barley products available
            I suspect that only a few whiskey manufacturers really care one way or
            another.

            There is an issue of % protien, which is more of an issue with beer
            since excessive protein results in haze and a greater chance of
            spoilage.

            Scotch producers will require special malting (phenol content due to
            peat smoking).

            If you are simply making whiskey instead of scotch, then it really does
            not matter much.

            In fact, I suspect that whiskey manufacturers are able to use a wider
            range of malted barley than beer makers.

            Lager malt (always 2-row) prouces a lighter body and color beer.
            Pale Malt will be next with slightly higher body and color and protein.
            6-Row Pale Malt, noted for it's slightly higher enzime content, higher
            protein, husk content and diarker color.

            If you want to use a lot of ajuncts like unmalted corn or rice, the 6-
            row might help a little.

            Otherwise, use whatever you can get.

            The yeast, fermentation temperature, distillation and aging will each
            contribute more character than the malt, with the exception of peat
            smoked malt.

            Sven

            "36 years of fermented beverages and I still can't make a clone of Lite
            beer. Then again, I don't want to."

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@y...> wrote:

            > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain used
            for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
            whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
            > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how is it
            different.
            > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
            deal.

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
              Hey Boggin,
              Malted barley grain, available at your lhbs, is fine for whiskey.
              What you may want to stay away from is the hopped malts. Some of the
              hop flavor may come through the distillation process. Good luck,
              Tip one,
              Morgan

              wrote:

              > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain used
              for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
              whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
              > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how is
              it different.
              > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
              deal.

            • Boggin Bob
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
                Thanks guys I have spoken to lhbs he was not sure either, he is suggesting the use of crystal malt how do you think this would go.
                .

                wrote:

                > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain used
                for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
                whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
                > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how is
                it different.
                > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
                deal.

                Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks guys I have spoken to lhbs he was not sure either, he is
                  suggesting the use of crystal malt how do you think this would go.

                  Morgan gave the clue. It's hops you have to steer clear of when
                  making grain-based spirits. Specialty grains such as crystal malt
                  are used by intermediate to advanced homebrewers to add color, body,
                  taste, and aromatic properties to beer.

                  Crystal malt is produced using a special malting process that allows
                  some of the starches to be converted to simpler sugars (such as
                  sucrose and maltose) inside the intact grain. These simple sugars
                  are fermentable. However a significant percentage of more complex
                  sugars remain intact and can add body, sweetness and mouth feel to a
                  beer. This is somewhat the opposite of what a distiller requires.

                  Distillers need to have the beer finish fermenting at a much lower
                  SG (dry, under 1.000). IOW all or as much as possible of the
                  starches converted to fermentable sugars, and all or mostly all of
                  the sugars used up.

                  Go with 6-row barley malted. It has more enzymatic activity (aka DP
                  or Diastatic Power) than 2-row, and will convert any unmalted grains
                  you want to use as the base, such as corn or rye.

                  I urge you to read this short article. It will explain a lot about
                  American style whiskies and what you need to do to be successful...
                  http://tinyurl.com/87lx5

                  Moderator
                • Robert N
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Hi all, I recently tried a little experiment where by I added two
                    tablespoons of crystal malt grains to a 700ml bottle of my standard essence
                    recipe whiskey and left it sit for two months. Maybe if I had only left it
                    for a day or two it may have been ok. The flavour of the malt was so
                    overpowering that as much as I forced myself to acquire a taste for it, I
                    couldn't finish the glass. O' well its back to the still it goes.

                    Yours in Spirit

                    Robert

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Plain and simple, it would probably suck.

                      Whiskey is distilled beer which is made without hops.

                      Your LHBS rep has no clue about which he speeks. Crystal has so
                      little diastatic power it can't convert it's own starches much less
                      any adjuncts. It has had some starch already converted to sugar and
                      crystalized by the heat process used to make it.

                      Use either (1) 6-Row malted barley, (2) Pale Malted barley, (3) Pale
                      Ale Malted barley, or (4) Pilsen malted barley.

                      Grind the barley, add hot water in a ratio of 1qt/lb of malt and
                      achieve a mash temp of 150f. Hold for an hour. Sparge, boil, chill,
                      pitch with yeast and let it ferment out. Then distill it.

                      If you wish to make bourbon, you will need to add adjuncts (51% Corn,
                      Rye, etc) and the 6-Row malt or Pale Ale Malt will be your best (have
                      the highest diastatic power) malt to do the mashing.

                      Be forwarned that sparging high adjunct mashes can be a real PIA.

                      Sven.

                      wrote:

                      > Thanks guys I have spoken to lhbs he was not sure either, he is
                      suggesting the use of crystal malt how do you think this would go.
                      > .
                      >

                      > morganfield1 <morganfield1@y...> wrote:
                      > Hey Boggin,
                      > Malted barley grain, available at your lhbs, is fine for whiskey.
                      > What you may want to stay away from is the hopped malts. Some of
                      the
                      > hop flavor may come through the distillation process. Good luck,
                      > Tip one,
                      > Morgan
                      >
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain
                      used
                      > for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
                      > whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
                      > > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how
                      is
                      > it different.
                      > > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
                      > deal.
                      .....snip.....
                    • Peggy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Hi Tom,

                        Now is the time for YOU to do the run comparisons and let us know your
                        results. YOU can be the scientific investigator. We all anxiously await
                        your test results. Degradation is as important as building the enzymes. As
                        we suggested during the training, the microbes are more important than the
                        enzymes. This is a living breathing science. Not something that lends
                        itself to bottling and packaging. And so in lies the limitations of
                        commercializing this new industry. VIVA BEC!!!

                        Thanks for the note,
                        Best wishes,
                        Peggy

                        Peggy G Korth
                        BioFuels Energy Corporation
                        (830) 885-7409 Voice
                        (830) 885-7416 Fax
                        (210) 288-0999 Cell
                        rpk@... Email
                        www.biofuelsenergycorp.com

                        Gang, I am a newbie to this hobby. I have a bit more corn sprouted than
                        I need. Can I freeze it for later use or will that kill the microbes. Or
                        do I understand that the enzymes are already made and it makes no
                        difference if the microbes are killed. .

                        Thanks

                        TomS

                        wrote:

                        > Thanks guys I have spoken to lhbs he was not sure either, he is
                        suggesting the use of crystal malt how do you think this would go.
                        > .
                        >

                        > morganfield1 <morganfield1@y...> wrote:
                        > Hey Boggin,
                        > Malted barley grain, available at your lhbs, is fine for whiskey.
                        > What you may want to stay away from is the hopped malts. Some of
                        the
                        > hop flavor may come through the distillation process. Good luck,
                        > Tip one,
                        > Morgan
                        >
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain
                        used
                        > for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
                        > whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
                        > > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how
                        is
                        > it different.
                        > > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
                        > deal.
                        .....snip.....

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group " Distillers
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers> " on the web.

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • tset

                          wrote:

                          > Thanks guys I have spoken to lhbs he was not sure either, he is
                          suggesting the use of crystal malt how do you think this would go.
                          > .
                          >

                          > morganfield1 <morganfield1@y...> wrote:
                          > Hey Boggin,
                          > Malted barley grain, available at your lhbs, is fine for whiskey.
                          > What you may want to stay away from is the hopped malts. Some of
                          the
                          > hop flavor may come through the distillation process. Good luck,
                          > Tip one,
                          > Morgan
                          >
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain
                          used
                          > for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
                          > whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
                          > > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how
                          is
                          > it different.
                          > > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
                          > deal.
                          .....snip.....

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Ya Ya YA, You are assuming I have the skills for the Scientific
                            documentation and all that. It requires good scales, a clean area,
                            perhaps a micro scope, etc etc etc. I will help any one with any thing I
                            am able to help with. This is an area where I am afraid I will not be
                            much help. My findings will surely not have much value... LOL

                            wrote:

                            > Thanks guys I have spoken to lhbs he was not sure either, he is
                            suggesting the use of crystal malt how do you think this would go.
                            > .
                            >

                            > morganfield1 <morganfield1@y...> wrote:
                            > Hey Boggin,
                            > Malted barley grain, available at your lhbs, is fine for whiskey.
                            > What you may want to stay away from is the hopped malts. Some of
                            the
                            > hop flavor may come through the distillation process. Good luck,
                            > Tip one,
                            > Morgan
                            >
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I have recently been advised that the pre malted barley grain
                            used
                            > for the making of beer is no good for the manafacture of bourbon or
                            > whisky. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
                            > > Is the malting of barley different for beer or whisky if so how
                            is
                            > it different.
                            > > I have not used grain before so it will be a trail and error type
                            > deal.
                            .....snip.....

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group " Distillers
                            < http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers> " on the web.

                            Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            _____

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                              Hi Guys,
                              Actualy, I was refering to hopped barley malt extracts, but I
                              couldn't think of the name (senior moment). Harry's right about the
                              crystal malt, and most other specialty malts for beer making. Your
                              looking for total starch conversion to "fermentable" sugars. And
                              there is no sin (putting on my flack jacket, here) to adding pure
                              sugar to you wert. Your making beer, but you're not dringing the
                              beer, you're drinking the alchohol in the beer. The more, the
                              merrier. If your making whiskey, you should stay with dextrose, give
                              you more of a "whiskey taste". Now, if your trying to simulate a
                              paricular brand, say "Jack Danials", then you'll have to follow a
                              mash bill, but I'm rambling on. Good luck.
                              Tip one, Morgan

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tset" <tset@h...> wrote:

                                > Gang, I am a newbie to this hobby. I have a bit more corn
                                sprouted than
                                > I need. Can I freeze it for later use or will that kill the
                                microbes. Or
                                > do I understand that the enzymes are already made and it makes no
                                > difference if the microbes are killed. .
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > TomS

                                Remove the rootlets. Kiln-dry it to 4% moisture. Store in airtight
                                container(s).

                                Moderator
                              • Dan Hoyt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  make more than you need !

                                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                • Boggin Bob
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 6, 2005
                                    Thanks for the input to all who replied I wll be doing some homework this week to see what information I can gather locally.
                                    I have a few options to follow up now with more accurate information.

                                    Bogginbobbie