Measuring Hot and Warm distillate

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      I bought an alcoholmeter a long while back, before we started
      house renovations (it's an old parochial hall with 2 foot stone
      walls and 18 foot high ceiling) anyway I got the alcohol metre, off
      Gert Strand's site and I still have 2 demi-johns' full of Amazing
      Plastic Still brew (it's a bit rough I only filtered twice through a
      Britta filter, as per uncle Jessie's instructions, but drinkable
      after you deaden your taste buds with a cheap £4/$8US bottle of
      wine, from the local supermarket)
      Now the very brief instructions that were sent with it. Say to
      drop it into the liquid like a normal wine hydrometer. And I quote,
      For an exact reading for each percentage under 20% add 0.2%
      (if reading is 15% add 5 x 0.2% = 1% so the alcohol strength is
      16%). For each percent over 20% deduct 0.2%
      It say's at the base on the hydrometer scale % at 20C. I
      measured the temperature of my stuff and its 18 C and the hydrometer
      was at 30% so according to that my stuff is 28%
      Now as I say it's nothing to write home about but it's
      drinkable with coke and for me that's fine for the time being. But
      come a time when all the house renovating is done I'll eventually
      get unpacked and eventually do a run and I want to measure warm
      distillate as it comes from the still in order to figure out at what
      rate to open up the reflux valve to get higher strength and have to
      measure the out-going distillate. With the distillate being
      hot/warm will this reading be all that different from the formula
      above? What do you think guys?
      Geoff
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi geoff,
        there's a pdf file on homedistllers.org:
        http://tinyurl.com/8h2qs
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Cheers,