First batch

  • dennishoddy
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi all! I have been wanting to break into this, and have been doing
      a little wine, and wanted to do some brandy, or maybe some corn
      whisky. I am looking for a really simple recipe that gives some good
      results. I can improve after the first batch or two when I understand
      more of what is going on. I have been reading this forum for a little
      while, and decided to try the first batch of corn whisky in a 5
      gallon plastic water container with a fermentation lock. I used 8
      pounds of sugar, 10 pounds of corn meal, 4 gallons of water, and some
      Montrachet wine yeast (2 packets...enough for 10 gallons of wine). I
      will be using a stainless pot still(copper worm) with an electric
      heater that is controlled by a programmable, microprocessor based
      thermocouple temperature controller. I can control temperature to +
      or - 1 degree F.
      Looking for the exact temperatures when I can first start the
      condenser, and what temperatures produce the start of the process
      where you throw away the undesirable alcohol, and the exact
      temperatures where you stop the process, because you have extracted
      all the alcohol.
      I just read a book called "More Mountain Spirits", and while it was
      entertaining, it gave temperatures of "if you can hold your hand in
      it for about 10 seconds with blistering, its about the right
      temperature". Great reading, but my brain just doesn't work that way

      If my mash recipe is just all wrong, let me know. I can throw it out,
      and start again.
    • whosbrewing
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
        Hi Dennis,
        since you have no other "biters", I'll go for it.
        1. welcome to a great hobby
        2. newbees really should go to new_distillers group, where the sort of
        questions you asked are more likely to get answered
        3. If you're reading this via the group messages page, then check the
        "links" link to your left. homedistiller.org will get you up to speed.
        If via email then there are links at the end of every post.

        There is lots you need to read up on. Start with:
        theory of distillation, then go to recipes, then running a distillation.

        Cheers,
        Rob.
      • dennishoddy
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
          Thanks for the reply Rob. I have been reading huge amounts of
          literature, as well as the recipe's on the links on the left. I guess
          I have discovered that there is no one recipe to start with. I have
          read(from this site and others) that you need to "malt" the corn,
          yet on another website, you don't need to malt the grain...it just
          takes a little longer, or, add beeno? I have read that a certain
          temperture on the low temp part of the distillation process produces
          an alcohol that is undrinkable, and the same holds true on the higher
          temperatures of the distillation process. The temperatures vary by as
          much as 10 degrees F. depending on what web site your on? Having
          worked as a process engineer in the oil refining business, I am
          totally familiar with the "reflux" or "cracking process" which is why
          I built the microprocessor based heater controller to precisely
          control the temperature and will be using a a pot still to try to
          gain flavor.

          I guess the question I really wanted to ask is, after reading about
          100 recipe's of simple corn whisky, I decided to use the one(for the
          first simple batch) that said to use:

          10 lb. of corn meal,
          4 gallons of water,
          heat the water/corn meal mix to 130 degrees F., and leave for 2 hours
          8 pounds of sugar, dissolved,
          dark wine yeast (a double dose, enough for 10 gallons of wine)
          disolved at 92 degrees F..
          4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient(food grade urea and ammonium phosphate)

          I was asking for advice, good or bad, if that recipe would work.( I
          feel I may have used too much sugar)
          I have it in a plastic carboy with a fermentation lock that I have
          used in the past to make wine, and at present it is bubbling along
          nicely.

          Another question, that I have seen debated, but never have seen a
          consensus, is, do you measure the temperature in the mash while
          distilling, or do you measure the vapor temperature? (I will be using
          an external heating element). I have installed taps in both the
          bottom, and top of the stainless steel potstill to install the
          thermocouple for the temperature controller depending on the answers
          I hope to obtain in this thread of experts.

          I do appreciate any critique, good or bad. Thats the only way to
          learn.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whosbrewing" <whosbrewing@y...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Dennis,
          > since you have no other "biters", I'll go for it.
          > 1. welcome to a great hobby
          > 2. newbees really should go to new_distillers group, where the sort
          of
          > questions you asked are more likely to get answered
          > 3. If you're reading this via the group messages page, then check
          the
          > "links" link to your left. homedistiller.org will get you up to
          speed.
          > If via email then there are links at the end of every post.
          >
          > There is lots you need to read up on. Start with:
          > theory of distillation, then go to recipes, then running a
          distillation.

          > Cheers,
          > Rob.

        • toddk63
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
            From one oil refiner to another...the temperature/abv% of your
            distillate in a pot still is gonna be what its gonna be depending on
            the wash abv%. This is why you can drive a pot still harder (more
            power input) than a reflux column. On a reflux column, or as I like
            to call it, a fractionator, to much power input will "flood" the
            column and it becomes no more effective than a pot still. I have
            found, despite the results from other theoretical models, that a
            minimum amount of reflux is required to obtain stability (distillate
            vapor temp at the top stays low and steady) despite how low your power
            input is. For me, this is around 1.5 to 2.5 RR. The limiting factor
            on my power input is currently my condenser. It can condense no more
            than around 1.3 kW. So I set my burner so that my (m)*(dT) at the
            condenser is just less than 1.2 kW and I run off the distillate
            between 20 to 30 ml/min (~1.5 to 2.5 RR) and I get 94% to 95% abv
            throughout most of the run. As the off take slows and vapor temp
            rises I slowly increase power whilst switching to the tails jar.

            Hope this helps.

            Todd K.

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
              wrote:

              > Thanks for the reply Rob. I have been reading huge amounts of
              > literature, as well as the recipe's on the links on the left. I
              guess
              > I have discovered that there is no one recipe to start with. I
              have
              > read(from this site and others) that you need to "malt" the corn,
              > yet on another website, you don't need to malt the grain...it just
              > takes a little longer, or, add beeno?

              ..............There is no sugar in grain. It is starch. The starch
              has to be converted to sugar i.e. yeast food. This requires
              enzymes, specifically alpha and beta amylase. The act of 'malting'
              is tricking the grain into germination, which activates enzymes in
              the grain to begin converting the starch to sugar. The growing
              plant uses this sugar as food for growth. The germination is halted
              by heat/drying before the plant eats all the sugar. What you then
              have in each malted & dried seed is no longer starch. It is a
              little packet of enzymes and some sugar. If you malt barley,
              there's enough enzymatic power in it to convert other unmalted
              grains or grains which don't convert well, e.g. corn. You can
              sidestep this whole issue by using commercially available enzymes.
              Beano is one, but there are others more suitable. Most are
              expensive, hence the reason for hot mashing grain.

              I have read that a certain
              > temperture on the low temp part of the distillation process
              produces
              > an alcohol that is undrinkable, and the same holds true on the
              higher
              > temperatures of the distillation process. The temperatures vary by
              as
              > much as 10 degrees F. depending on what web site your on?

              ..........You're referring to 'heads' and 'tails'. The drinkable
              bit in the middle is 'hearts'.

              Having
              > worked as a process engineer in the oil refining business, I am
              > totally familiar with the "reflux" or "cracking process"

              ................Broadly similar concept, but very different in
              actual operation. At least you've got a head start on most first-
              timers. Many have a hard time getting their head around the idea of
              reflux.

              which is why
              > I built the microprocessor based heater controller to precisely
              > control the temperature

              ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control temperature. You
              control the amount of heat pumped in. Temperature will change
              according to the composition of the vapours passing the reading
              point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as the pot contents
              weaken. This will change the boiling point (upwards) of said
              vapours.

              and will be using a a pot still to try to
              > gain flavor.

              .....That will work.

              > I guess the question I really wanted to ask is, after reading
              about
              > 100 recipe's of simple corn whisky, I decided to use the one(for
              the
              > first simple batch) that said to use:
              >
              > 10 lb. of corn meal,
              > 4 gallons of water,
              > heat the water/corn meal mix to 130 degrees F., and leave for 2
              hours
              > 8 pounds of sugar, dissolved,
              > dark wine yeast (a double dose, enough for 10 gallons of wine)
              > disolved at 92 degrees F..
              > 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient(food grade urea and ammonium
              phosphate)

              > I was asking for advice, good or bad, if that recipe would work.(
              > feel I may have used too much sugar)

              ...........Could be a little too much, depending on how much
              conversion you got with the corn. Invest in a hydrometer, and aim
              for a Starting Gravity around 1.100

              > I have it in a plastic carboy with a fermentation lock that I have
              > used in the past to make wine, and at present it is bubbling along
              > nicely.

              .......If it's active, then things are ok so far. When it stops,
              check the Finishing Gravity. 1.000 is good, 0.990 is perfect.
              Higher than 1.000 means there's still a little sugar that didn't get
              used. Not much of a problem. Beer is made a little sweet on
              purpose. But if it's too high (1.025 or higher), you'll get poor
              yield, burnt sugar off-flavours etc.

              > Another question, that I have seen debated, but never have seen a
              > consensus, is, do you measure the temperature in the mash while
              > distilling,

              ..............Not much point to that.

              or do you measure the vapor temperature?

              .........Yes. The temp of the vapour tells all.

              (I will be using
              > an external heating element). I have installed taps in both the
              > bottom, and top of the stainless steel potstill to install the
              > thermocouple for the temperature controller depending on the
              answers
              > I hope to obtain in this thread of experts.
              >
              > I do appreciate any critique, good or bad. Thats the only way to
              > learn.

              I suggest you read http://www.homedistiller.org/static_menu.htm

              Read it from start to finish, particularly the sections on still
              building. There's no better reference on the 'net.

              Moderator
            • dennishoddy
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control temperature. You
                control the amount of heat pumped in. Temperature will change
                according to the composition of the vapours passing the reading
                point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as the pot contents
                weaken. This will change the boiling point (upwards) of said
                vapours.

                Do I need to set the temperature at the maximum of safe distillation,
                and just let it roll? Can you reccomend that temperature?

> [...]
                > > learn.
                > >

                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whosbrewing"
                <whosbrewing@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Dennis,
                > > > since you have no other "biters", I'll go for it.
                > > > 1. welcome to a great hobby
                > > > 2. newbees really should go to new_distillers group, where the
                sort
                > > of
                > > > questions you asked are more likely to get answered
                > > > 3. If you're reading this via the group messages page, then
                check
                > > the
                > > > "links" link to your left. homedistiller.org will get you up to
                > > speed.
                > > > If via email then there are links at the end of every post.
                > > >
                > > > There is lots you need to read up on. Start with:
                > > > theory of distillation, then go to recipes, then running a

              • dennishoddy
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                  I also wanted to add....my heating unit is totally programmable.

                  (
                  > > > feel I may have used too much sugar)
                  > > > I have it in a plastic carboy with a fermentation lock that I
                  > have
                  > > > used in the past to make wine, and at present it is bubbling
                  > along
                  > > > nicely.
                  > > >
                  > > > Another question, that I have seen debated, but never have seen
                  > > > consensus, is, do you measure the temperature in the mash while
                  > > > distilling, or do you measure the vapor temperature? (I will be
                  > using
                  > > > an external heating element). I have installed taps in both the
                  > > > bottom, and top of the stainless steel potstill to install the
                  > > > thermocouple for the temperature controller depending on the
                  > answers
                  > > > I hope to obtain in this thread of experts.
                  > > >
                  > > > I do appreciate any critique, good or bad. Thats the only way
                  > > > learn.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whosbrewing"
                  > <whosbrewing@y...>

                  > sort
                  > > > of
                  > check
                  > > > the
                  > > > speed.

                  > > > distillation.

                • dennishoddy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                      wrote:

                      > I also wanted to add....my heating unit is totally programmable.
                      >
                      > > ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control temperature. You
                      > > control the amount of heat pumped in. Temperature will change
                      > > according to the composition of the vapours passing the reading
                      > > point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as the pot
                      contents
                      > > weaken. This will change the boiling point (upwards) of said
                      > > vapours.
                      > >
                      > > Do I need to set the temperature at the maximum of safe
                      > distillation,
                      > > and just let it roll? Can you reccomend that temperature?

                      You need to balance heat input, with column capacity (potstill or
                      reflux column), with condenser capability. Drive it too hard, your
                      spirit will be crap. Again I refer you to homedistiller.org for
                      design strategies. If you want to set an automatic cuttoff temp,
                      then for a potstill it would be 96°C first run, then ~92°C second
                      run, depending always on your preferences and the ultimate test,
                      TASTE & SMELL. Human sensory organs will beat technology hands down
                      every time.

                      Moderator
                    • dennishoddy
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dennishoddy" <hoddyde@o...> wrote:

                        > ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control temperature. You
                        > control the amount of heat pumped in. Temperature will change
                        > according to the composition of the vapours passing the reading
                        > point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as the pot contents
                        > weaken. This will change the boiling point (upwards) of said
                        > vapours.
                        >
                        > Do I need to set the temperature at the maximum of safe
                        distillation,
                        > and just let it roll? Can you reccomend that temperature? With my
                        heating unit totally programmable, I'd like to set it(if possible)
                        at the lowest temperature, cook off the undesirables, reprogramme it
                        to cook off the good stuff, and so on......

> [...]
                        (
                        > > > feel I may have used too much sugar)
                        > > > I have it in a plastic carboy with a fermentation lock that I
                        > have
                        > > > used in the past to make wine, and at present it is bubbling
                        > along
                        > > > nicely.
                        > > >
                        > > > Another question, that I have seen debated, but never have seen
                        > > > consensus, is, do you measure the temperature in the mash while
                        > > > distilling, or do you measure the vapor temperature? (I will be
                        > using
                        > > > an external heating element). I have installed taps in both the
                        > > > bottom, and top of the stainless steel potstill to install the
                        > > > thermocouple for the temperature controller depending on the
                        > answers
                        > > > I hope to obtain in this thread of experts.
                        > > >
                        > > > I do appreciate any critique, good or bad. Thats the only way

                      • Lindsay Williams
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                          You are not listening to the people trying to set you right. Re-read
                          Harry's no's and NOT's and the rest of his paragraph. You really need
                          to understand the etoh distillation process. Look up the 'Theory' tab
                          on www.homedistiller.org for Mike Nixon's explanation.

                          If you manage to control the boiling point of a liquid by changing the
                          heat input you will be the first to have done this. Like, does the
                          temp of boiling water change when you crank in more heat? Or does it
                          just stay the same temp but boil more vigorously? There is only one
                          boiling point for any given mixture - period.

                          Cheers,
                          Lindsay.

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dennishoddy" <hoddyde@o...> wrote:

                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dennishoddy" <hoddyde@o...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control temperature. You
                          > > control the amount of heat pumped in. Temperature will change
                          > > according to the composition of the vapours passing the reading
                          > > point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as the pot contents
                          > > weaken. This will change the boiling point (upwards) of said
                          > > vapours.
                          > >
                          > > Do I need to set the temperature at the maximum of safe
                          > distillation,
                          > > and just let it roll? Can you reccomend that temperature? With my
                          > heating unit totally programmable, I'd like to set it(if possible)
                          > at the lowest temperature, cook off the undesirables, reprogramme it
                          > to cook off the good stuff, and so on......
                        • Robert Thomas
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                            0123456789
                            ^
                            /
                            /
                            Troll-O-Meter

                            Cheers
                            Rob.

                            --- Lindsay Williams <linw@...> wrote:

                            > You are not listening to the people trying to set
                            > you right. Re-read
                            > Harry's no's and NOT's and the rest of his
                            > paragraph. You really need
                            > to understand the etoh distillation process. Look up
                            > the 'Theory' tab
                            > on www.homedistiller.org for Mike Nixon's
                            > explanation.
                            >
                            > If you manage to control the boiling point of a
                            > liquid by changing the
                            > heat input you will be the first to have done this.
                            > Like, does the
                            > temp of boiling water change when you crank in more
                            > heat? Or does it
                            > just stay the same temp but boil more vigorously?
                            > There is only one
                            > boiling point for any given mixture - period.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Lindsay.
                            >
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dennishoddy"
                            > <hoddyde@o...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dennishoddy"
                            > <hoddyde@o...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control
                            > temperature. You
                            > > > control the amount of heat pumped in.
                            > Temperature will change
                            > > > according to the composition of the vapours
                            > passing the reading
                            > > > point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as
                            > the pot contents
                            > > > weaken. This will change the boiling point
                            > (upwards) of said
                            > > > vapours.
                            > > >
                            > > > Do I need to set the temperature at the maximum
                            > of safe
                            > > distillation,
                            > > > and just let it roll? Can you reccomend that
                            > temperature? With my
                            > > heating unit totally programmable, I'd like to set
                            > it(if possible)
                            > > at the lowest temperature, cook off the
                            > undesirables, reprogramme it
                            > > to cook off the good stuff, and so on......

                            Cheers,
                            Rob.

                            __________________________________
                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • toddk63
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                              Even I, a born and bred computerized techno-geek engineer, who thinks
                              EVERYTHING can be modeled on a spreadsheet, would have to agree with
                              that, Harry!

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > 0123456789
                                > ^
                                > /
                                > /
                                > Troll-O-Meter
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > Rob.

                                Nah, not this time Rob. Oklahoma Gas & Electric doesn't employ trolls.

                              • Robert Thomas
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  Fair enough. Just recalcitrance I guess.
                                  Cheers,
                                  Rob.

                                  --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                                  > <whosbrewing@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > 0123456789
                                  > > ^
                                  > > /
                                  > > /
                                  > > Troll-O-Meter
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers
                                  > > Rob.
                                  >

                                  > Nah, not this time Rob. Oklahoma Gas & Electric
                                  > doesn't employ trolls.
                                  >
                                  > Slainte!
                                  > regards Harry

                                  Cheers,
                                  Rob.

                                  __________________________________
                                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                • stevolate
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                                    I hate it when I have to look up a new word so early in the morning.
                                    You never stop learning.
                                    Noun 1. recalcitrance - the trait of being unmanageable
                                    Happy drinking.
                                    Stevo

                                    > Fair enough. Just recalcitrance I guess.
                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Rob.
                                    >

                                    > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                                    > > <whosbrewing@y...>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > > 0123456789
                                    > > > ^
                                    > > > /
                                    > > > /
                                    > > > Troll-O-Meter
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Cheers
                                    > > > Rob.
                                    > >

                                    > > Nah, not this time Rob. Oklahoma Gas & Electric
                                    > > doesn't employ trolls.
                                    > >
                                    > > Slainte!
                                    > > regards Harry
                                    > >

                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Rob.
                                    >

                                    > __________________________________
                                    > http://farechase.yahoo.com

                                  • Mark
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                                      At one time, I had tc's (thermocouples) all over the still. No more.

                                      My spirit making toolbox contains the following: scale, measuring
                                      cups, measuring spoons, beer hydrometer, spirit hydrometer, nose,
                                      tongue.

                                      My fermenter has a bit of tech it in. Uses a water fountain magpump,
                                      an electric blanket, a cooling coil. Uses couple of valves and relays
                                      controlled by an Omron temperature controller. But this is just
                                      because I'm lazy and don't bother checking it every day.

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@y...> wrote:

                                      > Even I, a born and bred computerized techno-geek engineer, who thinks
                                      > EVERYTHING can be modeled on a spreadsheet, would have to agree with
                                      > that, Harry!
                                      >

                                      > > ... and the ultimate test,
                                      > > TASTE & SMELL. Human sensory organs will beat technology hands
                                      down
                                      > > every time.

                                    • dixie
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                                        hi can you tell me how to get get started on recipe,s to distill essential oils of some of the things i might need never did this stuff be for and want to learn much more about what to mix in it and how i want to mix it ...can you give me some i deal about this

                                        dixie
                                        > Thanks for the reply Rob. I have been reading huge amounts of
                                        > literature, as well as the recipe's on the links on the left. I
                                        guess
                                        > I have discovered that there is no one recipe to start with. I
                                        have
                                        > read(from this site and others) that you need to "malt" the corn,
                                        > yet on another website, you don't need to malt the grain...it just
                                        > takes a little longer, or, add beeno?

                                        ..............There is no sugar in grain. It is starch. The starch
                                        has to be converted to sugar i.e. yeast food. This requires
                                        enzymes, specifically alpha and beta amylase. The act of 'malting'
                                        is tricking the grain into germination, which activates enzymes in
                                        the grain to begin converting the starch to sugar. The growing
                                        plant uses this sugar as food for growth. The germination is halted
                                        by heat/drying before the plant eats all the sugar. What you then
                                        have in each malted & dried seed is no longer starch. It is a
                                        little packet of enzymes and some sugar. If you malt barley,
                                        there's enough enzymatic power in it to convert other unmalted
                                        grains or grains which don't convert well, e.g. corn. You can
                                        sidestep this whole issue by using commercially available enzymes.
                                        Beano is one, but there are others more suitable. Most are
                                        expensive, hence the reason for hot mashing grain.

                                        I have read that a certain
                                        > temperture on the low temp part of the distillation process
                                        produces
                                        > an alcohol that is undrinkable, and the same holds true on the
                                        higher
                                        > temperatures of the distillation process. The temperatures vary by
                                        as
                                        > much as 10 degrees F. depending on what web site your on?

                                        ..........You're referring to 'heads' and 'tails'. The drinkable
                                        bit in the middle is 'hearts'.

                                        Having
                                        > worked as a process engineer in the oil refining business, I am
                                        > totally familiar with the "reflux" or "cracking process"

                                        ................Broadly similar concept, but very different in
                                        actual operation. At least you've got a head start on most first-
                                        timers. Many have a hard time getting their head around the idea of
                                        reflux.

                                        which is why
                                        > I built the microprocessor based heater controller to precisely
                                        > control the temperature

                                        ...........No no no, Sir. You do NOT control temperature. You
                                        control the amount of heat pumped in. Temperature will change
                                        according to the composition of the vapours passing the reading
                                        point. These vapours will diminish in ethanol as the pot contents
                                        weaken. This will change the boiling point (upwards) of said
                                        vapours.

                                        and will be using a a pot still to try to
                                        > gain flavor.

                                        .....That will work.

                                        > I guess the question I really wanted to ask is, after reading
                                        about
                                        > 100 recipe's of simple corn whisky, I decided to use the one(for
                                        the
                                        > first simple batch) that said to use:
                                        >
                                        > 10 lb. of corn meal,
                                        > 4 gallons of water,
                                        > heat the water/corn meal mix to 130 degrees F., and leave for 2
                                        hours
                                        > 8 pounds of sugar, dissolved,
                                        > dark wine yeast (a double dose, enough for 10 gallons of wine)
                                        > disolved at 92 degrees F..
                                        > 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient(food grade urea and ammonium
                                        phosphate)

                                        > I was asking for advice, good or bad, if that recipe would work.(
                                        > feel I may have used too much sugar)

                                        ...........Could be a little too much, depending on how much
                                        conversion you got with the corn. Invest in a hydrometer, and aim
                                        for a Starting Gravity around 1.100

                                        > I have it in a plastic carboy with a fermentation lock that I have
                                        > used in the past to make wine, and at present it is bubbling along
                                        > nicely.

                                        .......If it's active, then things are ok so far. When it stops,
                                        check the Finishing Gravity. 1.000 is good, 0.990 is perfect.
                                        Higher than 1.000 means there's still a little sugar that didn't get
                                        used. Not much of a problem. Beer is made a little sweet on
                                        purpose. But if it's too high (1.025 or higher), you'll get poor
                                        yield, burnt sugar off-flavours etc.

                                        > Another question, that I have seen debated, but never have seen a
                                        > consensus, is, do you measure the temperature in the mash while
                                        > distilling,

                                        ..............Not much point to that.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                                          Hi Dixie,
                                          First up the best place for a beginner is

                                          I don't know anything about essential oils but my favourite resource is
                                          http://homedistiller.org
                                          and a quick search there found this
                                          http://homedistiller.org/oils.htm
                                          hope it is what your looking for.