Re: Grappa, tsikoudia, raki, fresh brandy, is there a difference in taste?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Mulberry 'vodka' is popular in the Caucus Mountains where it is known
      as 'tut araghi'(Azerbaijan) and 'tutti oghi' (Armenia). The etymology
      of araghi is obviously from arak/raki.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

      > --- georomios <georomios@h...> wrote:
      > <snip>
      > > other three. But in the meanwhile I would
      > > appreciate hearing other
      > > people's view about differences in taste between
      > > grappa/tsikoudia/raki (no aniseed) and spirit out of
      > > grapes, say
      > > unaged brandy out of the bottle, not barrel aged.
      > tsikoudia= greek root to the word,
      > raki (pronounced rad-she by Cretans)=Turkish root.
      > There is no difference. The Cretans are very pragmatic
      > about raki. If you distilled from some kind of grape
      > base, and added nothing after, then it's raki. They
      > also do similar with mulberries (whose name I can't
      > remember). This stuff is VERY rare.
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >

      > __________________________________
      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

    • king pin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        You should be pleased with your results Geo. I have only tried Raki on one occasion and it had aniseed, (a taste that I would have prefered out of the drink). I do beleive all 3 varieties do use grapes, so they really can't be that dif in taste...initially, then of course, aging in barrels and other ingredients will change the base.

        I'm sorry I can't be more helpful in regard to your Q's. I was once brought a bottle of Grappa di Mertillio from northern Italy, which I think translates to Blueberry Grappa and it was simply amazing! I wouldn't mind trying to make it one day but I shudder when I think of the amount of berries needed to make it worthwhile.

        georomios <georomios@...> wrote:
        Hello to Mico and others who have been involved in the discussion on
        grappa. Sorry but I have been away from a computer for more than a
        week and I have missed out the opportunity to participating in the
        discussion. Nevertheless I thought of posting my experiences to
        date with the production of grappa or near grappa / brandy like
        drink.

        I was prompted to the production of spirit out of grapes from my
        experience of drinking the Cretan spirit tsikoudia, made out of
        pomace (raki but without the aniseed flavour, similar to that
        produced on some other Greek islands) and more recently from
        drinking grappa while for a month in Tuscany, following long
        sessions with Chianti Classicos, it was great finishing the night
        with a few drinks of grappa.

        On my return and having put together a simple distillation apparatus
        based on a 30 lt hot water urn, not reflux, just plain alambric type
        of set up, I bought a couple of cases of syrah/shiraz grapes, de-
        stemmed them (to avoid the bitter/sharp taste in the spirit) and
        after fermentation I distilled the whole mix of grape juice, skins,
        pips, the lot in two batches. This was my first ever try and
        without a voltage regulator it was a bit of a hit and miss regarding
        the avoidance of tails. I watered down the mix to 40% by volume, it
        got a bit cloudy (no soft water supply available) I put it in the
        freezer for a few days, filtered it through coffee filters and
        finished with about 6 lt of 40% drink!

        How does it taste? I have had two blind tasting sessions comparing
        my stuff with Cretan tsikoudia (no brand tsikoudia bought bulk from
        the barrel in Crete, everybody buys it like that, for 4.50 euros per
        lt)) and Italian grappa bought in Milano airport duty free
        (Candolini Grappa Bianca 1 lt for 12 euros). Results? Hardly any
        difference in taste. Preference from participants: First session
        Grappa, mine, tsikoudia! Second session, mine, tsikoudia, grappa!
        In other words, nobody can tell the difference after a nice meal and
        a few glasses of red!

        I am very pleased with myself and I am looking forward to my next
        season's production. I will keep some of the three above spirits
        and have a blind tasting between my next season's effort and the
        other three. But in the meanwhile I would appreciate hearing other
        people's view about differences in taste between
        grappa/tsikoudia/raki (no aniseed) and spirit out of grapes, say
        unaged brandy out of the bottle, not barrel aged.

        Happy drinking

        Geo

        Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
          Turkish raki is commonly made from a raisin mash. In Greece currants
          (name derived from Corinth) are used to make a base spirit.
          So you can make a grape-based spirit anytime of the year.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...>
          wrote:

          > You should be pleased with your results Geo. I have only tried Raki
          on one occasion and it had aniseed, (a taste that I would have
          prefered out of the drink). I do beleive all 3 varieties do use
          grapes, so they really can't be that dif in taste...initially, then of
          course, aging in barrels and other ingredients will change the base.

          > I'm sorry I can't be more helpful in regard to your Q's. I was once
          brought a bottle of Grappa di Mertillio from northern Italy, which I
          think translates to Blueberry Grappa and it was simply amazing! I
          wouldn't mind trying to make it one day but I shudder when I think of
          the amount of berries needed to make it worthwhile.

          > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change
          Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

          Service.