FW: Distilling & potassium carbonate

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2001
      An interesting email from Fred ... does anyone else do this ?
      Is it selective in which impurities it reacts with ?
      Tony
      *************************
      Tony &Elle,
      I get my ethanol alcohol at the liquor store that is everclear. I put
      about 1 inch of potassium carbonate anhydrous in the bottom of the quart
      bottle of the alchohol to absorb any fissel oils or water since alchohol
      is very hydrscopic to moisture.........You just pour it dry and any water will
      be absorbed. Best Regards Fred
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2001
        Tony what is everclear? ..and what does that all mean in plain English?

        Glenn
        > An interesting email from Fred ... does anyone else do this ?
        > Is it selective in which impurities it reacts with ?
        > Tony
        > *************************
        > Tony &Elle,
        > I get my ethanol alcohol at the liquor store that is everclear. I put
        > about 1 inch of potassium carbonate anhydrous in the bottom of the quart
        > bottle of the alchohol to absorb any fissel oils or water since alchohol
        > is very hydrscopic to moisture.........You just pour it dry and any water
        will
        > be absorbed. Best Regards Fred

      • D. C.
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2001
          << Tony what is everclear? >>

          Everclear is a very high proof neutral spirit sold in the USA. Most
          Everclear is sold at 150 proof, but since that is illegal in most states,
          they also sell a 110 proof version of it as well.

          Your Brother in Magick,
          Rev. David M. Cunningham
          email@...

          NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
          intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
          which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
          otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
          transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
          forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
          telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
            Glenn,

            > ..and what does that all mean in plain English?

            Its an interesting possible alternative to using carbon. If you can add a
            little pottasium carbonate, it sounds like it will absorb the fuesel oils
            (eg take away their flavour). I'd like to understand which ones it will
            take out (eg what chemical reactions are occuring ?)

            The other thing Fred mentions it doing is absorbing the water, eg taking a
            96% alcohol even higher (sometimes required if making fuel by mixing your
            alcohol with gasoline). This is an alternative method to using zeolites.

            Tony

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
              I believe that there's also a 190 Proof available. I know Wisconsin has it
              but what other States??

[...]

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              ---