Acetic Acid

  • rimfire_rifle
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      Wots that? Well, basically vinegar, and although not really
      relevant to this forum (apologies moderators) it is something we
      should know about, because if we bugger up our fermentation that's
      what we get, Weak link I suppose to ethanol.... So, look at this:-
      Chutney.

      1Kg Marrows / courgettes,
      1Kg tomatoes (green / red whatever)
      500g Cooking apples
      500g onions
      500g Sugar What sort you all say? Hey, sugar is sugar isn't it?
      (say all the peasants....) up to you, I like Muscovado.
      600ml Vinegar (white wine is good, or Cider)
      25 g ginger
      12 cloves
      2 teaspoons black peppercorns
      1 tsp coriander seeds. (Chilli at your peril.)
      (I pinched the recipe but it's a good un.)
      Chop it all up cook for about 2 hours until the spoon pulls through
      and you see the bottom of the pan (don't burn). Then bottle in
      sterile pots. If you haven't got the veggies use fruit beginning
      with 'P' and it will probably work.

      So what is the point? Well, if like me you get a bit trolleyed,
      pompette, drunk, plastered etc. and can't be bothered cooking but
      have the munchies (as me Saturday), get some cheese,(Parma ham in
      Italy Mmmmm) bread and Chutney and you will be sorted - plus a shot
      of your tipple (or 2...). I certainly was this weekend and thought
      I would share my recipe. Oh, and it makes a lot. Oh, and making a
      good vinegar is pretty difficult too, so I advise buying it. :)
      Rimfire (happier now).