Instant yeast

  • mampoer_boer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi all

      I have had a lot of questions answered that I did not even think of
      asking.

      But last night I was preparing my next wash (peach fruit juice and
      brown sugar) and thought that I should run this past you guys. I had a
      few stuck fermentations in the beginning and now I just make a mix of
      different dry yeasts and pitch this. Included in this is what they
      call "instant bakers yeast" does not need rehydration (obviously for
      dough). I use 2 types of instant yeast and 2 types of brewers yeast.
      Thus, 4 different yeasts in a wash.

      My question: What is in these instant yeasts and does it help since I
      don't use it on it's own?

      I would normally not ask such a easy thing to solve by trial and error
      but for the fact that I don't have a lot of opportunities to
      experiment as I only get one day in a month to distill if I am lucky.

      Thanks

      Mampoer_boer
    • Peter Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        To Mampoer Boer

        If you are still in SA, see if you can posta recipe for that beautiful
        orange stuff that they make in the Cape,
        I forget the name otherwise I would print it
      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          Basically, there are yeasts that work at the bottom of the wash and others that work better at the top. Each has different fermentation periods and optimum temperatures at which they work.

          Yeast though is not enough to get the process moving (especially bakers yeast). A proper balance requires nutrients to kick the yeast along. Four packs of different yeast?

          My advice is buy the proper yeast which comes with nutrients and "play" with your wash flavours.

          Andy