Re: [Distillers] Re: Super Start Distillers Yeast

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
      I think it must be catching: presumably, unless this
      sachet of yeast fell mysteriously from the sky, it was
      bought somewhere. Why not ask these basic questions of
      the seller?
      Or, if it's too embarassing, then perhaps
      new_distillers might be the place to go.
      However, I'm with Harry: what's wrong with google.

      Harry, I bet no-one reads the intro emails you send
      sporadically (I know I don't ;)
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      --- Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

      > That time of the month Harry?
      >
      > Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In
      > Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry
      > <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
      > > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: "Hailey" <hsbechler@y...>
      > > Subject: Super Start Distillers Yeast
      > >
      > > Does anyone know what "reconstituting" the yeast
      > means? Or the
      > > proper use and storage instructions for it?
      >

      > I'm not the author. I forwarded it from my email
      > box. How should I
      > answer it? A simple 'yes'? (that would answer the
      > questions), or
      > should I get out my trusty crystal ball and
      > anticipate that more
      > info is actually being requested, and then advise to
      > research the
      > archives, or just plain point in the right direction
      > re links. I
      > may be a tad testy this morning, but really, if a
      > body can use
      > email, then said body can surely use google. If a
      > body can find
      > these groups, then said body can surely also find
      > back messages.
      > (funny thing, my 'troll alert meter' just went off
      > :-) )
      >
      > Harry
      >

      > Distillers list archives :
      > http://archive.nnytech.net/
      > FAQ and other information at
      > http://homedistiller.org

      > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
      > culture change Business culture of china Corporate
      > culture training Management team

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      > removed]

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      Yahoo! for Good
    • ethanol102
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
        I know there's been some disscussion about this product before but I
        searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my question. I
        bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast at my local
        homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast nutrients and they were
        out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good to use for
        nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch of sugar wash with
        this stuff??? Thanks

        Ethanol 102
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ethanol102" <ethanol101@a...>
          wrote:

          > I know there's been some disscussion about this product before but I
          > searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my question. I
          > bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast at my local
          > homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast nutrients and they were
          > out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good to use for
          > nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch of sugar wash
          with
          > this stuff??? Thanks
          >
          > Ethanol 102

          1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

          The nutrient and mineral requirements of yeast include nitrogen,
          potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and calcium, with traces of iron,
          zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum. Nitrogen can be supplied by
          adding ammonium salts, aqueous ammonia, or anhydrous ammonia.
          Phosphates and magnesium requirements can be supplied in the form of
          phosphoric acid or phosphate salts and magnesium salts. Vitamins are
          also required for yeast growth (biotin, inositol, pantothenic acid,
          and thiamine).

          Most of the vitamins & nutrients are already present in sufficient
          amounts in the molasses malt, with the exception of thiamine (B1).
          Molasses & thiamine is the nutrient used in commercial yeast
          manufacture.

          You could also use brown or raw sugar in place of white sugar. It
          already has the molasses in it. All you need do is supply the
          thiamine.

        • Mark Wabster
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
            Harry and members at large,

            Have you ever heard of this product, or anything like
            it, being available in Australia? It's US$7.95 for 1lb
            in the USA, which makes the commercially available
            "turbo" yeast packs seem rather pricey I thought.

            Cheerz Wab

            ---------------------------------
            wrote:

            > I know there's been some disscussion about this
            product before but I
            > searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to
            my question. I
            > bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast
            at my local
            > homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast
            nutrients and they were
            > out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good
            to use for
            > nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch
            of sugar wash
            with
            > this stuff??? Thanks
            >
            > Ethanol 102

            1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

            The nutrient and mineral requirements of yeast include
            nitrogen,
            potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and calcium, with
            traces of iron,
            zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum. Nitrogen can
            be supplied by
            adding ammonium salts, aqueous ammonia, or anhydrous
            ammonia.
            Phosphates and magnesium requirements can be supplied
            in the form of
            phosphoric acid or phosphate salts and magnesium
            salts. Vitamins are
            also required for yeast growth (biotin, inositol,
            pantothenic acid,
            and thiamine).

            Most of the vitamins & nutrients are already present
            in sufficient
            amounts in the molasses malt, with the exception of
            thiamine (B1).
            Molasses & thiamine is the nutrient used in commercial
            yeast
            manufacture.

            You could also use brown or raw sugar in place of
            white sugar. It
            already has the molasses in it. All you need do is
            supply the
            thiamine.

            Distillers list archives :
            http://archive.nnytech.net/

            Corporate culture
            Corporate culture change
            Business culture of china

            Terms of Service.

            http://au.movies.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wabster <ozwab2001@y...> wrote:

              > Harry and members at large,
              >
              > Have you ever heard of this product, or anything like
              > it, being available in Australia? It's US$7.95 for 1lb
              > in the USA, which makes the commercially available
              > "turbo" yeast packs seem rather pricey I thought.
              >
              > Cheerz Wab

              Can't say as I have. But you pay for the convenience with turbos, not
              to mention the developer wants a return for his efforts. If price is
              an issue, get hold of a good yeast, then become a yeast rancher. It's
              easy enough to do. You'll have more yeast than you know what to do
              with, at almost nil cost.

            • ethanol101@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                In a message dated 11/5/2005 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                gnikomson2000@... writes:

                1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

                Harry, I found some B1 tablets 100mg is these ok and do I need to crush them
                up ???
                Thanks

                Ethanol 102

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ethanol101@a... wrote:

                  > Harry, I found some B1 tablets 100mg is these ok and do I need to
                  crush them
                  > up ???
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Ethanol 102

                  That'll be fine. Crush 'em up.

                  Moderator
                • ethanol101@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Thanks Harry

                  • road.kill47
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                      Howdy,Gents
                      Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per 1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a teaspoon? Need us measurements please.
                    • Paul Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                        Use (this is my experiance anyway) ~1/2oz per 5gal. Pitch EXACTLY as per their recomended pitching procedure (one of the yeasts I've used said to re-hydrate at 41C, which proved to be important. Just an example.).

                        P.

                        Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per 1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a teaspoon? Need us measurements please.

                        Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
                      • Derek Hamlet
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                          At 16:00 16/10/2009, you wrote:

                          >Howdy,Gents
                          >Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per
                          >1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use
                          >in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a
                          >teaspoon? Need us measurements please.

                          I don't know what distiller's yeast is, but the standard measure of
                          individual packets of yeast is 5 gms. You can use as little as that
                          for 5-6 gallons, but most people use 10 gms. and if it were me I make
                          a standard starter so I have a good yeast population of little
                          beasties when I innoculate what I am fermenting.
                          I do not use distiller's yeast for the stuff I make. In wine making
                          I know exactly the strain of yeast I am using and am very picky about
                          using specific yeast for particular grapes; sometimes dividing my
                          crushed grapes and using different yeasts on different parts of the ferment.
                          For sugar washes I use Lalvin EC1118 because it's a killer of wild
                          yeast and very tolerant of high alcohol meaning you can get it up near to 20%.
                          Harry will argue that for distilling grain mashes that one should not
                          aim for too much alcohol in the ferment because distilling a lower
                          alcohol fermented mash brings acrosss more of the desired flavours. I
                          agree with him.
                          I am very curious as what strain this "distillers yearst" is. The
                          research and science of yeast strains is pretty widely published and
                          it's got to be some fairly well known straing.
                          For info. on yeasts (mostly from a vintner's perspective) have a
                          wander around Scott Labs website. Here's a link to their
                          fermentation section. http://www.scottlab.com/products/fermentation/
                          They are a very well known company and are very open to sharing
                          information. I have attened workshops put on by their staff. They
                          do these workshops for big well known wineries and occasionally for
                          small groups of amateur winemakers. They can talk from the heavy
                          duty scientific research and also right down to how to make award
                          winning wines in your basement.

                          Derek
                          Papoucanada on skype
                        • billfitz49
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                            If you are interested in using distiller's yeast to make a neutral wash, check out this very long thread:
                            Wineo recommends 1/4 cup of Super Start distillers yeast for a 6 gal wash.