Re: [Distillers] Re: Super Start Distillers Yeast

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
      That time of the month Harry?

      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: "Hailey" <hsbechler@y...>
      > Subject: Super Start Distillers Yeast
      >
      > Does anyone know what "reconstituting" the yeast means? Or the
      > proper use and storage instructions for it?

      I'm not the author. I forwarded it from my email box. How should I
      answer it? A simple 'yes'? (that would answer the questions), or
      should I get out my trusty crystal ball and anticipate that more
      info is actually being requested, and then advise to research the
      archives, or just plain point in the right direction re links. I
      may be a tad testy this morning, but really, if a body can use
      email, then said body can surely use google. If a body can find
      these groups, then said body can surely also find back messages.
      (funny thing, my 'troll alert meter' just went off :-) )

      Harry

      Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
        I think it must be catching: presumably, unless this
        sachet of yeast fell mysteriously from the sky, it was
        bought somewhere. Why not ask these basic questions of
        the seller?
        Or, if it's too embarassing, then perhaps
        new_distillers might be the place to go.
        However, I'm with Harry: what's wrong with google.

        Harry, I bet no-one reads the intro emails you send
        sporadically (I know I don't ;)
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

        > That time of the month Harry?
        >
        > Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In
        > Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry
        > <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
        > > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: "Hailey" <hsbechler@y...>
        > > Subject: Super Start Distillers Yeast
        > >
        > > Does anyone know what "reconstituting" the yeast
        > means? Or the
        > > proper use and storage instructions for it?
        >

        > I'm not the author. I forwarded it from my email
        > box. How should I
        > answer it? A simple 'yes'? (that would answer the
        > questions), or
        > should I get out my trusty crystal ball and
        > anticipate that more
        > info is actually being requested, and then advise to
        > research the
        > archives, or just plain point in the right direction
        > re links. I
        > may be a tad testy this morning, but really, if a
        > body can use
        > email, then said body can surely use google. If a
        > body can find
        > these groups, then said body can surely also find
        > back messages.
        > (funny thing, my 'troll alert meter' just went off
        > :-) )
        >
        > Harry
        >

        > Distillers list archives :
        > http://archive.nnytech.net/
        > FAQ and other information at
        > http://homedistiller.org

        > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
        > culture change Business culture of china Corporate
        > culture training Management team

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Yahoo! for Good
      • ethanol102
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
          I know there's been some disscussion about this product before but I
          searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my question. I
          bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast at my local
          homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast nutrients and they were
          out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good to use for
          nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch of sugar wash with
          this stuff??? Thanks

          Ethanol 102
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ethanol102" <ethanol101@a...>
            wrote:

            > I know there's been some disscussion about this product before but I
            > searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my question. I
            > bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast at my local
            > homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast nutrients and they were
            > out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good to use for
            > nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch of sugar wash
            with
            > this stuff??? Thanks
            >
            > Ethanol 102

            1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

            The nutrient and mineral requirements of yeast include nitrogen,
            potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and calcium, with traces of iron,
            zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum. Nitrogen can be supplied by
            adding ammonium salts, aqueous ammonia, or anhydrous ammonia.
            Phosphates and magnesium requirements can be supplied in the form of
            phosphoric acid or phosphate salts and magnesium salts. Vitamins are
            also required for yeast growth (biotin, inositol, pantothenic acid,
            and thiamine).

            Most of the vitamins & nutrients are already present in sufficient
            amounts in the molasses malt, with the exception of thiamine (B1).
            Molasses & thiamine is the nutrient used in commercial yeast
            manufacture.

            You could also use brown or raw sugar in place of white sugar. It
            already has the molasses in it. All you need do is supply the
            thiamine.

          • Mark Wabster
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
              Harry and members at large,

              Have you ever heard of this product, or anything like
              it, being available in Australia? It's US$7.95 for 1lb
              in the USA, which makes the commercially available
              "turbo" yeast packs seem rather pricey I thought.

              Cheerz Wab

              ---------------------------------
              wrote:

              > I know there's been some disscussion about this
              product before but I
              > searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to
              my question. I
              > bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast
              at my local
              > homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast
              nutrients and they were
              > out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good
              to use for
              > nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch
              of sugar wash
              with
              > this stuff??? Thanks
              >
              > Ethanol 102

              1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

              The nutrient and mineral requirements of yeast include
              nitrogen,
              potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and calcium, with
              traces of iron,
              zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum. Nitrogen can
              be supplied by
              adding ammonium salts, aqueous ammonia, or anhydrous
              ammonia.
              Phosphates and magnesium requirements can be supplied
              in the form of
              phosphoric acid or phosphate salts and magnesium
              salts. Vitamins are
              also required for yeast growth (biotin, inositol,
              pantothenic acid,
              and thiamine).

              Most of the vitamins & nutrients are already present
              in sufficient
              amounts in the molasses malt, with the exception of
              thiamine (B1).
              Molasses & thiamine is the nutrient used in commercial
              yeast
              manufacture.

              You could also use brown or raw sugar in place of
              white sugar. It
              already has the molasses in it. All you need do is
              supply the
              thiamine.

              Distillers list archives :
              http://archive.nnytech.net/

              Corporate culture
              Corporate culture change
              Business culture of china

              Terms of Service.

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wabster <ozwab2001@y...> wrote:

                > Harry and members at large,
                >
                > Have you ever heard of this product, or anything like
                > it, being available in Australia? It's US$7.95 for 1lb
                > in the USA, which makes the commercially available
                > "turbo" yeast packs seem rather pricey I thought.
                >
                > Cheerz Wab

                Can't say as I have. But you pay for the convenience with turbos, not
                to mention the developer wants a return for his efforts. If price is
                an issue, get hold of a good yeast, then become a yeast rancher. It's
                easy enough to do. You'll have more yeast than you know what to do
                with, at almost nil cost.

              • ethanol101@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/5/2005 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  gnikomson2000@... writes:

                  1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

                  Harry, I found some B1 tablets 100mg is these ok and do I need to crush them
                  up ???
                  Thanks

                  Ethanol 102

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ethanol101@a... wrote:

                    > Harry, I found some B1 tablets 100mg is these ok and do I need to
                    crush them
                    > up ???
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Ethanol 102

                    That'll be fine. Crush 'em up.

                    Moderator
                  • ethanol101@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Thanks Harry

                    • road.kill47
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                        Howdy,Gents
                        Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per 1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a teaspoon? Need us measurements please.
                      • Paul Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                          Use (this is my experiance anyway) ~1/2oz per 5gal. Pitch EXACTLY as per their recomended pitching procedure (one of the yeasts I've used said to re-hydrate at 41C, which proved to be important. Just an example.).

                          P.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                            At 16:00 16/10/2009, you wrote:

                            >Howdy,Gents
                            >Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per
                            >1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use
                            >in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a
                            >teaspoon? Need us measurements please.

                            I don't know what distiller's yeast is, but the standard measure of
                            individual packets of yeast is 5 gms. You can use as little as that
                            for 5-6 gallons, but most people use 10 gms. and if it were me I make
                            a standard starter so I have a good yeast population of little
                            beasties when I innoculate what I am fermenting.
                            I do not use distiller's yeast for the stuff I make. In wine making
                            I know exactly the strain of yeast I am using and am very picky about
                            using specific yeast for particular grapes; sometimes dividing my
                            crushed grapes and using different yeasts on different parts of the ferment.
                            For sugar washes I use Lalvin EC1118 because it's a killer of wild
                            yeast and very tolerant of high alcohol meaning you can get it up near to 20%.
                            Harry will argue that for distilling grain mashes that one should not
                            aim for too much alcohol in the ferment because distilling a lower
                            alcohol fermented mash brings acrosss more of the desired flavours. I
                            agree with him.
                            I am very curious as what strain this "distillers yearst" is. The
                            research and science of yeast strains is pretty widely published and
                            it's got to be some fairly well known straing.
                            For info. on yeasts (mostly from a vintner's perspective) have a
                            wander around Scott Labs website. Here's a link to their
                            fermentation section. http://www.scottlab.com/products/fermentation/
                            They are a very well known company and are very open to sharing
                            information. I have attened workshops put on by their staff. They
                            do these workshops for big well known wineries and occasionally for
                            small groups of amateur winemakers. They can talk from the heavy
                            duty scientific research and also right down to how to make award
                            winning wines in your basement.

                            Derek
                            Papoucanada on skype
                          • billfitz49
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                              If you are interested in using distiller's yeast to make a neutral wash, check out this very long thread:
                              Wineo recommends 1/4 cup of Super Start distillers yeast for a 6 gal wash.