Re: Super Start Distillers Yeast

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: "Hailey" <hsbechler@y...>
      > Subject: Super Start Distillers Yeast
      >
      > Does anyone know what "reconstituting" the yeast means? Or the
      > proper use and storage instructions for it?

      I'm not the author. I forwarded it from my email box. How should I
      answer it? A simple 'yes'? (that would answer the questions), or
      should I get out my trusty crystal ball and anticipate that more
      info is actually being requested, and then advise to research the
      archives, or just plain point in the right direction re links. I
      may be a tad testy this morning, but really, if a body can use
      email, then said body can surely use google. If a body can find
      these groups, then said body can surely also find back messages.
      (funny thing, my 'troll alert meter' just went off :-) )

      Harry
    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
        That time of the month Harry?

        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
        > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: "Hailey" <hsbechler@y...>
        > Subject: Super Start Distillers Yeast
        >
        > Does anyone know what "reconstituting" the yeast means? Or the
        > proper use and storage instructions for it?

        I'm not the author. I forwarded it from my email box. How should I
        answer it? A simple 'yes'? (that would answer the questions), or
        should I get out my trusty crystal ball and anticipate that more
        info is actually being requested, and then advise to research the
        archives, or just plain point in the right direction re links. I
        may be a tad testy this morning, but really, if a body can use
        email, then said body can surely use google. If a body can find
        these groups, then said body can surely also find back messages.
        (funny thing, my 'troll alert meter' just went off :-) )

        Harry

        Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
          I think it must be catching: presumably, unless this
          sachet of yeast fell mysteriously from the sky, it was
          bought somewhere. Why not ask these basic questions of
          the seller?
          Or, if it's too embarassing, then perhaps
          new_distillers might be the place to go.
          However, I'm with Harry: what's wrong with google.

          Harry, I bet no-one reads the intro emails you send
          sporadically (I know I don't ;)
          Cheers,
          Rob.

          --- Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

          > That time of the month Harry?
          >
          > Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In
          > Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry
          > <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
          > > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: "Hailey" <hsbechler@y...>
          > > Subject: Super Start Distillers Yeast
          > >
          > > Does anyone know what "reconstituting" the yeast
          > means? Or the
          > > proper use and storage instructions for it?
          >

          > I'm not the author. I forwarded it from my email
          > box. How should I
          > answer it? A simple 'yes'? (that would answer the
          > questions), or
          > should I get out my trusty crystal ball and
          > anticipate that more
          > info is actually being requested, and then advise to
          > research the
          > archives, or just plain point in the right direction
          > re links. I
          > may be a tad testy this morning, but really, if a
          > body can use
          > email, then said body can surely use google. If a
          > body can find
          > these groups, then said body can surely also find
          > back messages.
          > (funny thing, my 'troll alert meter' just went off
          > :-) )
          >
          > Harry
          >

          > Distillers list archives :
          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > FAQ and other information at
          > http://homedistiller.org

          > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
          > culture change Business culture of china Corporate
          > culture training Management team

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          > removed]

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          Yahoo! for Good
        • ethanol102
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
            I know there's been some disscussion about this product before but I
            searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my question. I
            bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast at my local
            homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast nutrients and they were
            out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good to use for
            nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch of sugar wash with
            this stuff??? Thanks

            Ethanol 102
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ethanol102" <ethanol101@a...>
              wrote:

              > I know there's been some disscussion about this product before but I
              > searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my question. I
              > bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast at my local
              > homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast nutrients and they were
              > out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good to use for
              > nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch of sugar wash
              with
              > this stuff??? Thanks
              >
              > Ethanol 102

              1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

              The nutrient and mineral requirements of yeast include nitrogen,
              potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and calcium, with traces of iron,
              zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum. Nitrogen can be supplied by
              adding ammonium salts, aqueous ammonia, or anhydrous ammonia.
              Phosphates and magnesium requirements can be supplied in the form of
              phosphoric acid or phosphate salts and magnesium salts. Vitamins are
              also required for yeast growth (biotin, inositol, pantothenic acid,
              and thiamine).

              Most of the vitamins & nutrients are already present in sufficient
              amounts in the molasses malt, with the exception of thiamine (B1).
              Molasses & thiamine is the nutrient used in commercial yeast
              manufacture.

              You could also use brown or raw sugar in place of white sugar. It
              already has the molasses in it. All you need do is supply the
              thiamine.

            • Mark Wabster
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
                Harry and members at large,

                Have you ever heard of this product, or anything like
                it, being available in Australia? It's US$7.95 for 1lb
                in the USA, which makes the commercially available
                "turbo" yeast packs seem rather pricey I thought.

                Cheerz Wab

                ---------------------------------
                wrote:

                > I know there's been some disscussion about this
                product before but I
                > searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to
                my question. I
                > bought a 1 lb. bag of Super Start Distillers yeast
                at my local
                > homebrew shop but they didn't sell the yeast
                nutrients and they were
                > out of turbo. So does anyone know what would be good
                to use for
                > nutrients and the amount ot use in a 25 liter batch
                of sugar wash
                with
                > this stuff??? Thanks
                >
                > Ethanol 102

                1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

                The nutrient and mineral requirements of yeast include
                nitrogen,
                potassium, phosphate, magnesium, and calcium, with
                traces of iron,
                zinc, copper, manganese, and molybdenum. Nitrogen can
                be supplied by
                adding ammonium salts, aqueous ammonia, or anhydrous
                ammonia.
                Phosphates and magnesium requirements can be supplied
                in the form of
                phosphoric acid or phosphate salts and magnesium
                salts. Vitamins are
                also required for yeast growth (biotin, inositol,
                pantothenic acid,
                and thiamine).

                Most of the vitamins & nutrients are already present
                in sufficient
                amounts in the molasses malt, with the exception of
                thiamine (B1).
                Molasses & thiamine is the nutrient used in commercial
                yeast
                manufacture.

                You could also use brown or raw sugar in place of
                white sugar. It
                already has the molasses in it. All you need do is
                supply the
                thiamine.

                Distillers list archives :
                http://archive.nnytech.net/

                Corporate culture
                Corporate culture change
                Business culture of china

                Terms of Service.

                http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wabster <ozwab2001@y...> wrote:

                  > Harry and members at large,
                  >
                  > Have you ever heard of this product, or anything like
                  > it, being available in Australia? It's US$7.95 for 1lb
                  > in the USA, which makes the commercially available
                  > "turbo" yeast packs seem rather pricey I thought.
                  >
                  > Cheerz Wab

                  Can't say as I have. But you pay for the convenience with turbos, not
                  to mention the developer wants a return for his efforts. If price is
                  an issue, get hold of a good yeast, then become a yeast rancher. It's
                  easy enough to do. You'll have more yeast than you know what to do
                  with, at almost nil cost.

                • ethanol101@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                    In a message dated 11/5/2005 6:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    gnikomson2000@... writes:

                    1 cup molasses & 2 vitamin B1 tabs (thiamine).

                    Harry, I found some B1 tablets 100mg is these ok and do I need to crush them
                    up ???
                    Thanks

                    Ethanol 102

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ethanol101@a... wrote:

                      > Harry, I found some B1 tablets 100mg is these ok and do I need to
                      crush them
                      > up ???
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Ethanol 102

                      That'll be fine. Crush 'em up.

                      Moderator
                    • ethanol101@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                        Thanks Harry

                      • road.kill47
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                          Howdy,Gents
                          Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per 1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a teaspoon? Need us measurements please.
                        • Paul Smith
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                            Use (this is my experiance anyway) ~1/2oz per 5gal. Pitch EXACTLY as per their recomended pitching procedure (one of the yeasts I've used said to re-hydrate at 41C, which proved to be important. Just an example.).

                            P.

                            Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per 1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a teaspoon? Need us measurements please.

                            Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
                          • Derek Hamlet
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 16, 2009
                              At 16:00 16/10/2009, you wrote:

                              >Howdy,Gents
                              >Just bought 1 LB of distillers yeast. The package says 1-2 LBs per
                              >1000 gallons of mash. So the question of the day how much do you use
                              >in a 5-6 gallons of mash? Can it be broke down to 1/8 or 1/16 of a
                              >teaspoon? Need us measurements please.

                              I don't know what distiller's yeast is, but the standard measure of
                              individual packets of yeast is 5 gms. You can use as little as that
                              for 5-6 gallons, but most people use 10 gms. and if it were me I make
                              a standard starter so I have a good yeast population of little
                              beasties when I innoculate what I am fermenting.
                              I do not use distiller's yeast for the stuff I make. In wine making
                              I know exactly the strain of yeast I am using and am very picky about
                              using specific yeast for particular grapes; sometimes dividing my
                              crushed grapes and using different yeasts on different parts of the ferment.
                              For sugar washes I use Lalvin EC1118 because it's a killer of wild
                              yeast and very tolerant of high alcohol meaning you can get it up near to 20%.
                              Harry will argue that for distilling grain mashes that one should not
                              aim for too much alcohol in the ferment because distilling a lower
                              alcohol fermented mash brings acrosss more of the desired flavours. I
                              agree with him.
                              I am very curious as what strain this "distillers yearst" is. The
                              research and science of yeast strains is pretty widely published and
                              it's got to be some fairly well known straing.
                              For info. on yeasts (mostly from a vintner's perspective) have a
                              wander around Scott Labs website. Here's a link to their
                              fermentation section. http://www.scottlab.com/products/fermentation/
                              They are a very well known company and are very open to sharing
                              information. I have attened workshops put on by their staff. They
                              do these workshops for big well known wineries and occasionally for
                              small groups of amateur winemakers. They can talk from the heavy
                              duty scientific research and also right down to how to make award
                              winning wines in your basement.

                              Derek
                              Papoucanada on skype
                            • billfitz49
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                                If you are interested in using distiller's yeast to make a neutral wash, check out this very long thread:
                                Wineo recommends 1/4 cup of Super Start distillers yeast for a 6 gal wash.