Re: [Distillers] Testing for methanol

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      In a word, no.
      HPLC, GC, or NMR are possiblities, but you don't tend
      to find the equipment down the local Walmart!
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      --- joeatsalot <joeatsalot@...> wrote:

      > I suspect there isn't, and I suspect it isn't
      > necessary, but:
      >
      > Is it possible to test for methanol? (easily?)
      >
      > I know that proper home brewing and distilling
      > should leave almost no
      > methanol, probably less than cheap commercial
      > drinks, but it might be
      > nice to say "I told you so" to those of little
      > faith.

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • pieterpst
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        actually there is a protocol for that. It uses fuchsine and some
        other compounds (potassiumpermaganate). I don't think I still have
        the protocol. Our local pharmacist used to sell these kits and he
        told me that some compounds (like fuchsine) are hard to get (must
        also be expensive).

        I tested the kit in the lab with 0%,1%, 50% and 100% methanol but
        found the results to be dissapointing. I suspect that one of the
        compounds was old and therefore didn't work.

        After that I didn't bother to get a fresh kit, throwing away a
        generous methanol fraction is more then sufficient and saves the
        trouble for testing every time. Also I don't know how sensitive the
        kit was but if it is very sensitive you can drive yourself mad. You
        will nearly always find a positive result!

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>