Re: Quality of whiskey

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joeatsalot" <joeatsalot@y...> wrote:
      > I'm curious to know how those who've made whiskey rate their own
      > spirits. Would anybody like to comment?
      >
      > Of course it's all subjective, and it depends on what you like. But
      > I'd still be interested to hear any comparisons with bought stuff. Has
      > anybody bettered Laphroig? JD's? Jameson? I guess what this really
      > means is can we beat years in barrels by our own accelerated aging
      > methods?

      My best batch has been inbetween bushmills black and regular bush
      quality wise (IMO of course). My worst batch has been quite horrible
      (infected mash). It's a learning experience really, sometimes you get
      it just perfect, sometimes some little detail goes wrong and the result
      is lacking.

      - Riku
    • joeatsalot
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
        Thanks for sticking your neck out! I wasn't sure if anyone would
        answer. That's certainly inspiring! I hope I can do as well. How long
        was it aged?

        I have a sugar wash almost ready to try out my new still with. The
        still will have removable scrubbers for pot/flux conversion. Just need
        to make the last few bits. Next I'll try malt extract, then barley...

        How good has anybody managed to make scotch whiskey?

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>