Testing for methanol

  • joeatsalot
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      I suspect there isn't, and I suspect it isn't necessary, but:

      Is it possible to test for methanol? (easily?)

      I know that proper home brewing and distilling should leave almost no
      methanol, probably less than cheap commercial drinks, but it might be
      nice to say "I told you so" to those of little faith.
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
        In a word, no.
        HPLC, GC, or NMR are possiblities, but you don't tend
        to find the equipment down the local Walmart!
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- joeatsalot <joeatsalot@...> wrote:

        > I suspect there isn't, and I suspect it isn't
        > necessary, but:
        >
        > Is it possible to test for methanol? (easily?)
        >
        > I know that proper home brewing and distilling
        > should leave almost no
        > methanol, probably less than cheap commercial
        > drinks, but it might be
        > nice to say "I told you so" to those of little
        > faith.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • pieterpst
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          actually there is a protocol for that. It uses fuchsine and some
          other compounds (potassiumpermaganate). I don't think I still have
          the protocol. Our local pharmacist used to sell these kits and he
          told me that some compounds (like fuchsine) are hard to get (must
          also be expensive).

          I tested the kit in the lab with 0%,1%, 50% and 100% methanol but
          found the results to be dissapointing. I suspect that one of the
          compounds was old and therefore didn't work.

          After that I didn't bother to get a fresh kit, throwing away a
          generous methanol fraction is more then sufficient and saves the
          trouble for testing every time. Also I don't know how sensitive the
          kit was but if it is very sensitive you can drive yourself mad. You
          will nearly always find a positive result!

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>