Re: [Distillers] Heater size?

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
      Hi Rimfire,
      I'm using a sutronics burst-fire controller:
      http://tinyurl.com/35e9o
      30 quid+vat. you need to make a box for it with a
      metal top plate to act as heatsink. Brill!
      Then you can just get a couple of old fashioned kettle
      elements (with full screw assembly) of 1800-2400 (what
      ever is cheapest) and you get full smooth control of
      one from 0-100% (unplug the other when you get to
      boiling.
      Can't remember the postage, but was UK. The guy was
      pretty clued up on why that particular model was
      flying off the shelves!
      Cheers,
      Rob.
      p.s. you're in warmer climbs (just) than me, but watch
      out for tail ends of sloes, very ripe bullaces (look
      like a cross between a sloe and a damson) and maybe
      damsons. 4+ lb per gall + sugar to 1090 then distil!

      --- rimfire_rifle <rimfire_rifle@...> wrote:

      > Guys, a bit of advice needed please. I have used my
      > 1.5 inch 95 cm
      > reflux column (about 75cm of which is packed with
      > stainless scrubbers)
      > on a paraffin burner. It works but is a nightmare to
      > regulate. I need
      > to change the heating to gas or electric for my 20
      > litre sugar wash
      > runs @ 15% (currently I run 10 litres). I am
      > thinking of going
      > electric not gas. A 1.5 inch column seems to be
      > able to handle a max
      > of 1800 watt input for this kind of run. I was going
      > to use a 2400
      > watt (240V) element for the pre-heat and 1X 1500W
      > (240V) for the run
      > (this is the bit I need info on).I won't have much
      > control (an on/off
      > switch!) I just want to get the basic set up in the
      > first place before
      > moving onto heater controls Is anyone using
      > electric heating on a
      > wash/column like mine? (pics of my setup are in
      > photos folder).If so
      > can you drop me a mail? it would be much appreciated
      > and save me
      > mucking about for ages. It would also enable my
      > eyebrows to grow
      > back:). Cheers, Rimfire.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Rimfire
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
        Rob, cheers for that, you are de man! That burst fire thing sounds as good as one of my rifles! Burst Fire? Like semi-auto right?:)
        My Damson is already on made it 30.8.05 - did I beat you? - used Gordons I admit :( and the sloes? Well, a bit of frost and yes, we are in business. Can't beat it on a frosty day with the log burner going....
        Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:
        Hi Rimfire,
        I'm using a sutronics burst-fire controller:
        http://tinyurl.com/35e9o
        30 quid+vat. you need to make a box for it with a
        metal top plate to act as heatsink. Brill!
        Then you can just get a couple of old fashioned kettle
        elements (with full screw assembly) of 1800-2400 (what
        ever is cheapest) and you get full smooth control of
        one from 0-100% (unplug the other when you get to
        boiling.
        Can't remember the postage, but was UK. The guy was
        pretty clued up on why that particular model was
        flying off the shelves!
        Cheers,
        Rob.
        p.s. you're in warmer climbs (just) than me, but watch
        out for tail ends of sloes, very ripe bullaces (look
        like a cross between a sloe and a damson) and maybe
        damsons. 4+ lb per gall + sugar to 1090 then distil!

        --- rimfire_rifle <rimfire_rifle@...> wrote:

        > Guys, a bit of advice needed please. I have used my
        > 1.5 inch 95 cm
        > reflux column (about 75cm of which is packed with
        > stainless scrubbers)
        > on a paraffin burner. It works but is a nightmare to
        > regulate. I need
        > to change the heating to gas or electric for my 20
        > litre sugar wash
        > runs @ 15% (currently I run 10 litres). I am
        > thinking of going
        > electric not gas. A 1.5 inch column seems to be
        > able to handle a max
        > of 1800 watt input for this kind of run. I was going
        > to use a 2400
        > watt (240V) element for the pre-heat and 1X 1500W
        > (240V) for the run
        > (this is the bit I need info on).I won't have much
        > control (an on/off
        > switch!) I just want to get the basic set up in the
        > first place before
        > moving onto heater controls Is anyone using
        > electric heating on a
        > wash/column like mine? (pics of my setup are in
        > photos folder).If so
        > can you drop me a mail? it would be much appreciated
        > and save me
        > mucking about for ages. It would also enable my
        > eyebrows to grow
        > back:). Cheers, Rimfire.

        Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team