Re: Rowan/Sorbolo

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2005
      Ah!
      In Europe 95 degrees refers to %ge. In the U.S. it means proof with 95
      degrees being 47.5%abv. Most Italian recipes even now use pure alcohol
      which is readily available.
      The American edition was an edited version by F & P Kulla, of the
      Italian original by Emilio Cocconi. I have one recipe for Peschen from
      http://italianfood.about.com which is a translation of the Italian
      origin al which uses "1 cup grain (190 proof, 95%) alcohol" - the U.S.
      edition uses 10 ounces (280 ml) alcohol 95 degrees.
      Most liqueurs are in the 25%abv range. If we look at the Apple -Tea
      recipe we see it has an alcohol "content of a brandy of 40 degrees..."
      I think it is the American editors who are confused.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, david werling <werlingcharlie@y...>
      wrote:
      > ref pp scorched throat on Liquori Casalinghi
      >
      > Yes, you will scorch your throat. In 2nd chapter, page 11 'Making
      Liqueurs', the author says to use 95o (superscript o), not 95%abv as
      the spirit base of the recipes. He refers to it as pure grain alcohol
      generally sold as 190o (superscript o) which should then be diluted
      with an equal quantity of distilled water to achieve the desired 95o
      (superscript o). He goes on "In areas where pure grain alcohol cannot
      be sold, 80o - 100o vodka may be used as a substitute. It is clear
      from these entries that the aulthors used a superscript o to designate
      proof, not %abv as indicated in Wals posts. It is clear how the
      mistake occurred as the authors only use the comparison of the 95o and
      the 190o only once in their book and do not explain the use of the
      superscript o as their symbol for proof. However, in the trade proof
      may be indicated by a superscript o, but I am unaware as was Wal. We
      are indebted to Wal for his hours of work bringing us these recipes,
      but we do need to change the
      > 95%abv quantities to 95 proof. Yours in health charkow
      > pieterpst <pieterpost_pieterpost@h...> wrote:
      > ah, thx for looking that up ! I had seen the other recipe but this
      > one seemed nicer with the lemon (the others don't use lemon).
      >
      > To elaborate, I made some snapps from these berries and I must say
      > it's quite tasty. Not your everyday drink but pleasant all the same !
      >
      > grtz,
      >
      > PP
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > > The notes say that the alcohol content of the final product is 41%.
      > An
      > > 80% moisture content in the berries is not unusual, and keep in mind
      > > the 6 month maceration period.
      > > For another way see the Rowan Schnaps recipe -
      > > http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/rowan.html
      > >
      > > wal
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pieterpst"
      > > <pieterpost_pieterpost@h...> wrote:
      > > > Wal, just wondering if these recipe is complete? With this
      > percentage
      > > > of alcohol I am wondering if it won't scorch my throat. The end
      > > > percentage will be very high unless the water in the berries will
      > be
      > > > drawn to the alcohol (osmosis)although there diesn't seem to very
      > much
      > > > fluid in them ....
      > > >
      > > > Other recipies use less alcohol or add water to it ......
      > > >
      > > > greetings,
      > > >
      > > > PP

      > for 6
      > > nths.

      > Management team building Corporate culture Business culture of china
      Corporate culture training Management team Culture

      Service.

    • pieterpst
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
        Glad we got that cleared-up ..... what only one symbol can do to a
        likeur !

        And Wal, Rowan berries can taste bitter but someone told me that if
        you cook them briefly beforehand the bitterness will dissapear and
        that is what I've done! But it will take some months before I can say
        anything about that one .....

        Ok and now I have to go and add some water to my likeur ! ;)