Port Barrell

  • duds2u
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
      I'm a new member and Deans post about his new acquisition prompted me
      to remember I have a 6 litre port barrel that I have had for 20 years.
      It's still in good condition as it has been full all of the time. I
      don't drink much port now and was wondering what I would have to do to
      it to make it suitable for aging whiskey.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@b...> wrote:
        > I'm a new member and Deans post about his new acquisition prompted
        me
        > to remember I have a 6 litre port barrel that I have had for 20
        years.
        > It's still in good condition as it has been full all of the time.
        > don't drink much port now and was wondering what I would have to
        do to
        > it to make it suitable for aging whiskey.

        Do absolutely nothing. Age your whisky in traditional 2nd or 3rd
        fill oak then "finish" in your port pipe. Glenmorangie pioneered
        this method 10 or 12 years ago using different woods and different
        fills. The port finish is the most popular. Congrats, you've got
        something special there to experiment with.
        http://www.glenmorangieplc.com/portfolio/glen_wood1.asp

      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
          And if you aren't going to drink the port,
          I would try distilling it.
          cheers
          greg

          ---------------------------------
          <taylormc@b...> wrote:
          > I'm a new member and Deans post about his new
          acquisition prompted
          me
          > to remember I have a 6 litre port barrel that I have
          had for 20
          years.
          > It's still in good condition as it has been full all
          of the time.
          > don't drink much port now and was wondering what I
          would have to
          do to
          > it to make it suitable for aging whiskey.

          Do absolutely nothing. Age your whisky in traditional
          2nd or 3rd
          fill oak then "finish" in your port pipe.
          Glenmorangie pioneered
          this method 10 or 12 years ago using different woods
          and different
          fills. The port finish is the most popular.
          Congrats, you've got
          something special there to experiment with.
          http://www.glenmorangieplc.com/portfolio/glen_wood1.asp

          Distillers list archives :
          http://archive.nnytech.net/

          Terms of Service.