Exploding elements

  • Tony Ackland
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 11, 2005
      I've also had an 1800W element go BANG on me during a heat-up. It
      was one where the nice shiny (tin?) coating had slowly turned a nice
      copper colour over time (due to acidic washes ?). The bang was very
      impressive, but caught by the RCD before it could do any damage to
      me or the wiring. Upon inspection, there was very little to see of
      it - eventually found a small pin-prick hole in it. But big enough
      to let the electricity out. Harry's suggestion of electrical
      continuity testing would be about the only way to prove it.

      But the real question should be - how to address this proactively,
      to prevent the elements from getting into this condition. How can
      you detect that they are almost worn to the point of failure ?

      As always, if you're going to mix electricity & liquids, make sure
      you have a Residual Current Device (RCD) in the circuit.

      Point to query too - re putting out an alcohol fire - using water or
      foam - you'd want to ensure that the electricity was disconnected
      before doing so.

      Tony
      http://homedistiller.org
    • Mark
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 14, 2005
        Funny. This subject of "Exploding elements" has turned into
        an "EXPLODING POST".

        In the not too far distant future, I anticipate that this post will
        take on a life of its own, spawning many subgroups that span from why
        the sky is blue to the history of the papacy.

        (I have a 20 amp GFI on all my electric burners, and I sleep well)