Re: Brian Poke # 3100 - citrus query

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2001
      The literature says that for curacao/triple sec the orange peels
      should be infused in high strength alcohol and then redistilled - in
      a pot still I would imagine. It is then blended with water, neutral
      spirit or cognac. Grand Marnier is further aged in oak.
      I made a lemon vodka from a mash of 25 lemons (peel & juice), 5kg
      sugar, 25l water. The lemon flavor came across my reflux still which
      produces 75%abv. I did an orange vodka using 15 oranges (peel &
      juice). The flavor came across also. Mashes do contribute to flavor.
      One quickly tires of drinking watered down 95.7% neutral spirit, and
      adding flavors lacks the complexities that mashes give. Even an
      unoaked single malt spirit tastes great. Dutch gins used malted
      grain mash that was double distilled. The botanicals were
      incorporated in the second distillation. A reflux column which
      produces 80%abv could do this in one hit. I personally prefer flavor
      complexity over alcohol purity as this requires more artistry (I have
      nothing against technomania though).

      Citrus liqueurs (e.g. limoncello, agrumino) are made by infusing the
      peel in overproof spirit, and then adding water and sugar. It
      recommended to be kept in the fridge, although it seems O.K. on
      spirit store shelves.
      You might have gathered I have plenty of lemon and oranges in the
      garden!

      Wal
      P.S. I find your punctuation graphics "interesting" ???!!!....