Re: [Distillers] First Run

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
      Even spell check doesn't pick up everything. want/wasn't
      you'll figure it out:)

      Dean.

      Dean Thomas wrote:

      >While yeast will probably start at lower temps than that described by
      >the manufacturer it is not recommended. The reason that they say to add
      >the yeast at 40 degrees is the yeast is in dried form, by having your
      >water at this temp the yeast rehydrates quicker and this temp gives the
      >yeast a chance to wake up and get its metabolism going before the water
      >cools.
      >The instructions on a packet of yeast are usually best followed as this
      >has been determined by the experts the most reliable means of getting
      >that particular yeast to do what we wasn't.
      >I always use turbo's and try to follow the instructions to the letter,
      >up to date I have not had one fermentation fail or one bad run. Are you
      >sure there wasn't anything else wrong ? Do you have copper in your
      >system or is it all stainless steel ? Did you let your column equalise
      >before removing for shots and heads ? Is there anything in the vapour
      >path that may be giving off chemicals ?.
      >
      >Hope you can solve this mystery.
      >Dean.

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
        Don't throw out you messed up product!!!
        That's why you got a still, to purify ethanol.
        Just dilute and run it again!
        Rob.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
          You did say you cut the recipe in half then added the FULL sachet?
          Basically, you probably did at least two things wrong. With half sugar
          and water you should have added half the sachet. Secondly, you need to
          find out what the proper strike temp is. My Still Spirits turbo says
          to add the sugar at 40 deg C but they mean that the yeast should be
          struck at 35 deg C as they expect the sugar to cool it down 5 deg. If
          your wash was 40 deg C it would likely have been too hot. But that
          doesn't mean that 23 deg is correct, either. This strike temp is very
          important so don't guess it. What turbo brand/type was it?

          Getting the wash right is one thing but you ned to describe your still
          and how you ran it. Then, perhaps, we can be more helpful.

          Oh, yes, like Rob says, another big mistake was chucking it out!

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:
          > I know that people typically run into problems on their first run.
          > I ran into some problems and after reviewing my logs, I have made
          > several mistakes that I would like to share with everybody.
          >
          > The turbo yeast instructions read something like this:
          > Wash and sterlize all equipment (did that)
          > Prepare 21 litres of water at 40 degrees (didn't make 21 litres, but I
          > did half that.)
          > Then add 6 kg's of sugar (only did 3 kg's) and stir untill completely
          > dissolved (pretty easy huh?)
          > Add the sachet of contents and stir and leave to ferment at 15 to 30
          > degree's.(did that, temp was around 22)
          >
          > I did all that, and after doing my first run and smelling many of my
          > splits and doing research. I found some flaws.
          >
          > 1. You should wait till the water cools off to around 23 degrees, then
          > add the yeast. I read that if you add the contents at higher
          > tempetures that the yeast will be under strain and it'll produce
          > higher alcohols, thus totally wacking your wash and final product out.
          >
          > 2. As everybody says that you should taste/smell for your heads and
          > tails. It is hard to taste/smell for your heads and tails when the
          > whole product smells like thinner and gives you a horrid headache just
          > from getting a small woof of it. This is something that came unexpected.
          >
          > 3. Have all the required equipment before doing your first run. It
          > will pay off wonders!! The one piece of equipment that I lacked was a
          > hydrometer. This would have helped...that is for sure.
          >
          > That's all I got anyways. I ended up throwing the whole final product
          > out. It just had this horrid after smell to it. After reviewing the
          > log and doing a little research, I figured that I will have to add the
          > contents at a lower tempeture.
          >
          > Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Disk
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
            Dean:
            I do have a partical copper still. The columns are copper piping and
            the stock pot itself is aluminum, although the flange itself is
            stainless steel. I have done several water test runs before I did the
            final stage (the actual run), and everything turned out ok.

            I don't exactly know what "let your column equalise" means. I cannot
            answer that.

            I don't think there is anything that could have been giving off any
            chemicals. The water test runs proved to turn out just fine and the
            water tasted 'ok'. The only thing I can think off is that I put in too
            much yeast at higher temps.

            Linsay: I didn't add the FULL sachet. I almost did, I came short
            so...goodness for that. I added almost 3/4's of it. I dunno if that
            would change anything.

            Rob: You are right. I probably shouldn't have thrown it out. I almost
            wish now that I didn't.

            I probably could have added them in at lower temps, might have reduced
            the 'shock'.

            Would Light Brown Sugar make a difference?

            Disk

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
              Dave, various points to your answers:

              --- Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote:

              > Dean:
              > I do have a partical copper still. The columns are
              > copper piping and
              > the stock pot itself is aluminum, although the
              > flange itself is
              > stainless steel. I have done several water test runs
              > before I did the
              > final stage (the actual run), and everything turned
              > out ok.
              Sounds ok unless you have some kind of "electro
              action" going on to corrode the ali/copper.

              > I don't exactly know what "let your column equalise"
              > means. I cannot
              > answer that.
              Unless you have a pot still, you should be controlling
              how much refluxes back down the column.
              Allowing it all to reflux is known as stabilising the
              column. After that, slow takeoff litterally takes off
              heads, then hearts then tails in order and separate.
              Without that you get crud thoughought. See links at
              the bottom for better explanations. THIS may be your
              problem.

              > I don't think there is anything that could have been
              > giving off any
              > chemicals. The water test runs proved to turn out
              > just fine and the
              > water tasted 'ok'. The only thing I can think off is
              > that I put in too
              > much yeast at higher temps.
              Maybe, but there are simpler explanations (see
              above/below)

              > Linsay: I didn't add the FULL sachet. I almost did,
              > I came short
              > so...goodness for that. I added almost 3/4's of it.
              > I dunno if that
              > would change anything.
              It's very difficult to measure out an equal amount of
              yeast and nutrient from those sachets.

              > Rob: You are right. I probably shouldn't have thrown
              > it out. I almost
              > wish now that I didn't.
              Never mind almost. Don't do it again! At least you
              would have had something to practice your still
              tecnique on. Now you'll have to brew up again. (oops,
              very schoolmarmish!)

              > I probably could have added them in at lower temps,
              > might have reduced
              > the 'shock'.
              I've used turbo8Kg added betwenn 20 and 30 degC with
              no probs. higher is likely to be slightly bad (but if
              it fermented out not really bad).

              > Would Light Brown Sugar make a difference?
              NO. One variable at a time.

              You really need to fully understand the concept of
              relux distillation. It doesn't matter if you have a 50
              foot column if you don't use it right, or recognise
              what's happening in it from the temperature
              measurements.

              Sorry to be all bad cop on you, perhaps someone can do
              the good cop routine now?
              Read the links and experiment.
              Rob.
              p.s. have we got a photo of your setup? (links on the
              left if your in yahoogroups, if in mail, get to
              groups).

> [...]
              > > >tails. It is hard to taste/smell for your heads
              > and tails when the
              > > >whole product smells like thinner and gives you a
              > horrid headache just
              > > >from getting a small woof of it. This is
              > something that came
              > unexpected.
              > > >
              > > >3. Have all the required equipment before doing
              > your first run. It
              > > >will pay off wonders!! The one piece of equipment
              > that I lacked was a
              > > >hydrometer. This would have helped...that is for
              > sure.
              > > >
              > > >That's all I got anyways. I ended up throwing the
              > whole final product
              > > >out. It just had this horrid after smell to it.
              > After reviewing the
              > > >log and doing a little research, I figured that I
              > will have to add the
              > > >contents at a lower tempeture.
              > > >
              > > >Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Dean Thomas
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                Trying to full fill the role of good cop.

                To summarize the most critical point of Robs reply.

                1. Never throw out the results of a bad run usually all can be saved
                with a little education.

                2. Always let your column stabilise/equalise at full reflux for at least
                30 min (1 hour is better), before removing any product from your still.
                Then at one drip per second remove foreshots and heads. you are now
                ready to remove the glorious clean spirit we all know and love
                ..........Ethanol (All said in an upbeat positive tone) :)

                Few I am not a very good actor. ;)
                Try doing a little more reading Home distiller is a good starting point
                and what is that site of Harry's Tastylime something.

                Dean.

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Make sure there is no plastic hose between the still head and the
                  collection bottle!

                  snippity snip snip

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                    Thanks for all your info. I will need to make some adjustments and we
                    will see how my next batch goes with all the right knowledge and
                    equipment.

                  • rufus3h
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                      Sounds very much my first run. I am no expert because i have only just
                      completed my second run (was succesfull 80%). What i found was that my
                      first was part of the problem, i started the temp too low, about 20
                      deg and subsequently i think the yeast struglled for 2 weeks probably
                      making it stressed out. Anyway when i disttiled it it smellt like nail
                      poilish remover and vinigar. Also i had the thermometer in the wrong
                      place and not enug copper (not i prb for u). Hope that helps.

                      P.S aluminium is out it anything you put in your mouth man, i dont use
                      ali pots or anything anymore because of increased risk od alzhemers.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rufus3h" <postino_no1@h...> wrote:

                        > P.S aluminium is out it anything you put in your mouth man, i dont
                        use
                        > ali pots or anything anymore because of increased risk od alzhemers.

                        Jury's still out on that one. You'll hear arguments for and against.
                        Everyone has to make their own personal decision on aluminium. My
                        decision is, if one doesn't use it, then one can't blame it later if
                        one gets "old-timers", assuming a body can remember what metal was
                        used, or one's name, of if distilling was ever part of one's life. ;-
                        )) or what is one? Why not two?

                      • donald holcombe
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                          Ive seen reports that suggest no rise in Al content when distilling. My granny put nails in an Al pot to cook with. Old people were told Al was bad for you . Al was just cheaper and the copper and iron pan salesmen started the wives tale that Al was poison. Al is one of the most abundant elements. Its in everything.The Mercury in your filling is way worse than anything in your likker. I got friends who wont drink likker from Al too.Thats why I use SS.

                          rufus3h <postino_no1@...> wrote:Sounds very much my first run. I am no expert because i have only just
                          completed my second run (was succesfull 80%). What i found was that my
                          first was part of the problem, i started the temp too low, about 20
                          deg and subsequently i think the yeast struglled for 2 weeks probably
                          making it stressed out. Anyway when i disttiled it it smellt like nail
                          poilish remover and vinigar. Also i had the thermometer in the wrong
                          place and not enug copper (not i prb for u). Hope that helps.

                          P.S aluminium is out it anything you put in your mouth man, i dont use
                          ali pots or anything anymore because of increased risk od alzhemers.

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:
                          > I know that people typically run into problems on their first run.
                          > I ran into some problems and after reviewing my logs, I have made
                          > several mistakes that I would like to share with everybody.
                          >
                          > The turbo yeast instructions read something like this:
                          > Wash and sterlize all equipment (did that)
                          > Prepare 21 litres of water at 40 degrees (didn't make 21 litres, but I
                          > did half that.)
                          > Then add 6 kg's of sugar (only did 3 kg's) and stir untill completely
                          > dissolved (pretty easy huh?)
                          > Add the sachet of contents and stir and leave to ferment at 15 to 30
                          > degree's.(did that, temp was around 22)
                          >
                          > I did all that, and after doing my first run and smelling many of my
                          > splits and doing research. I found some flaws.
                          >
                          > 1. You should wait till the water cools off to around 23 degrees, then
                          > add the yeast. I read that if you add the contents at higher
                          > tempetures that the yeast will be under strain and it'll produce
                          > higher alcohols, thus totally wacking your wash and final product out.
                          >
                          > 2. As everybody says that you should taste/smell for your heads and
                          > tails. It is hard to taste/smell for your heads and tails when the
                          > whole product smells like thinner and gives you a horrid headache just
                          > from getting a small woof of it. This is something that came unexpected.
                          >
                          > 3. Have all the required equipment before doing your first run. It
                          > will pay off wonders!! The one piece of equipment that I lacked was a
                          > hydrometer. This would have helped...that is for sure.
                          >
                          > That's all I got anyways. I ended up throwing the whole final product
                          > out. It just had this horrid after smell to it. After reviewing the
                          > log and doing a little research, I figured that I will have to add the
                          > contents at a lower tempeture.
                          >
                          > Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Disk

                          Management team Food and drink Organizational culture Culture

                          ---------------------------------

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                            I doubt Al has anything to do with my shitty product. I do think it
                            was temp. I finally just got a hydrometer and an alchometer, but hell
                            I dunno what to do with it. It's just the tube with the pepples in the
                            bottom of the glass tube, now what the heck am I supposed to do with
                            that? lol

                            Dave

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rufus3h" <postino_no1@h...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > P.S aluminium is out it anything you put in your mouth man, i dont
                            > use
                            > > ali pots or anything anymore because of increased risk od alzhemers.
                            >

                            > Jury's still out on that one. You'll hear arguments for and against.
                            > Everyone has to make their own personal decision on aluminium. My
                            > decision is, if one doesn't use it, then one can't blame it later if
                            > one gets "old-timers", assuming a body can remember what metal was
                            > used, or one's name, of if distilling was ever part of one's life. ;-
                            > )) or what is one? Why not two?
                            >

                            > Slainte!
                            > regards Harry
                          • Lmemarime
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                              Harry could you say that again please, I can't remember what we were talking about?
                              Semp F?
                              Lmemarine

                            • toddk63
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                I doubt starting at 20°C stressed out your yeast. It was just
                                cruising along slowly, making a clean ferment. I regulary ferment at
                                20°C to minimize fusel production.

                                Todd K.