Re: Head temperature - reflux still

  • Willy
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
      Some things to ponder: all mentionned temperatures are right for
      certain conditions only. I'm using very accurate thermometer and my
      headtemps are around 71ºC; Water is boiling here at 91ºand a boiling
      water-ice mix is 44º.
      If one does his things in a place other than on sea-level, temps will
      change!
      By the way, I am living on a confortable height of 2600m asl (about
      9000F)and ad a good amount of sugar to my molasses and sugar-wash to
      get a little higher separationtemp. Out of neccessity i re-use most
      of this wash in my following batch, which means i am in the dunder
      job and with good results...

      will

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex _{*L*}_ \(a.k.a. BOKAKOB\)"
      <bokakob@y...> wrote:
      > This is a very *nice* point in advocating my policy of the
      thermometer placement not at the very top of the column but toward
      the lower end of the top third of the packing.

      > There are a few more positive things which can be monitored with a
      single thermometer at lower location.

      > See my writing "Mode Observations..." here http://tinyurl.com/17a
      >

      > dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
      > Gday,
      >
      > Just for a second, assume the measuring device is accurate:
      >
      > Could the discrepancy be due to any cooling effects from your
      condenser? ie. falling reflux or conduction through the mount point to