Re: [Distillers] slow run, fast run? What is the difference between the two?

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
      Without more information included in the original question I'll have a
      go at answering.

      The speed of your collection dictates whether a run is fast or slow.

      A Slow run:- will result in a more pure distillate and depending on the
      size of the batch to be distilled can take a very long time. I usually
      collect at one to two drips per second.

      A fast run:- I assume you mean stripping run. A stripping run is usually
      done prior to the final slow run to reduce the size and therefore the
      amount of time required to do the slow run. different people do
      different things, many finding that a stripping run is beneficial in
      achieving a better end product. I haven't tried a stripping run as I get
      an excellent product from one good slow run.

      Hope I deciphered your question properly.
      Dean

      Dave wrote:

      >I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
      >exactly a slow run or a fast run?

    • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
        In my mind a slow run is the distillation process when the distiller targets producing the most quality out of the distillation. It translates to careful and very slow take off rate of foreshots and heads, approximately one drop per second, and then carefully distilling for main body with a rate of approximately 2~3(max) drops per second, not more. This allows close monitorinng of tails and timely change of the collecting vessel. This process yields 95% abv in proper refllux columns.

        A "fast" run I would think is the distillation when you want to "clear" the mash in order to collect the final distillate with heads and tails altogether without distinguishing phases. This distillation yields approximately 60% to 65% abv of foul product which is good for nothing.

        By the way, separating foreshots carefully during "fast" run *does* make significant better product during the second "slow" distillation.
        I posted some info about this effect earlier.

        With all said bear in mind that I mean all this info in regards to pure clear neutral alcohol delivered from 1.5"~2" columns. For flavored alcohols someone else would give more info than me.

        Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote:
        I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is exactly a slow run or a fast run?

        Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
        http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
          I'd say a slow run is one that doesn't leave enough
          time for drinking at the end, or gets screwed up due
          to drinking on the job.
          A fast run means your power controller is on the
          fritz.
          Rob.

          --- Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote:

          > I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast
          > runs...What is
          > exactly a slow run or a fast run?

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
            I guess I am not sure what I am looking for either.

            I guess if the still has more "redistillations" it'll take longer
            right? and that would be a long run?
            If I have a pot still...and less "redistillations" the run might be
            faster right? and that would be a fast run?

            Because I have a pot still hybrid...basically it's a tall column still
            without any scrubbers or packing.

            I have yet to get a chance to run it. But I was just wondering what
            exactly is a fast run or a slow run?

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:
            > I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
            > exactly a slow run or a fast run?
          • kj
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
              Have a look or better still down load this PDF file from the still spirits
              site it will give you the basics you need to know.packing in the column will
              sort of turn a pot still into a fractioning still and purity will alter from
              a straight pot still and you will have so better control..you probably will
              have to do a series of distills to get the higher purity. Good idea to go to
              the Yahoo web site and print out the FAQ and link to the home distiller
              website of Tony's and read up on the subject

              http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/20_L_Pot_Still_Instr
              uctions.pdf

              Hope this helps

              Cheers Ken Mc

              _____

              I guess I am not sure what I am looking for either.

              I guess if the still has more "redistillations" it'll take longer
              right? and that would be a long run?
              If I have a pot still...and less "redistillations" the run might be
              faster right? and that would be a fast run?

              Because I have a pot still hybrid...basically it's a tall column still
              without any scrubbers or packing.

              I have yet to get a chance to run it. But I was just wondering what
              exactly is a fast run or a slow run?

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:
              > I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
              > exactly a slow run or a fast run?

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "Distillers