Fermentation calculation of alcohol content

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 7:59 PM
      I have always used (Initial Specific Gravity - Final Specific
      Gravity) X 135 to calculate the abv of a fermented wash.

      Reviewing TA's site, I saw (ISG-FSG) X 129 ! ! ! !

      About a 5% difference. Which one is right?

      I got the 135 factor from Lines Big Book a bazillion years ago. I
      think Miller uses the same factor.

      Mark
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 11:52 PM
        It depends on the og of your wine/beer.
        for say 1.040 beer, 0.129 is close, but for wines say
        1.100 .135 is better.
        This is covered in notice 226 from UK Customs and
        Excise. This is the official rulebook for brewers in
        the UK.
        Unfortunately, I long since lost my copy, so can't
        give you the full table, but from memory
        og multiplier
        1.040 .129
        1.060 .135
        and approx linear between. Higher ogs aren't linear.
        It has something to do with an assumption that the
        yeast uses a fixed amount of sugar to initially grow
        (producing no ethanol).
        Hope that helps,
        Rob.

        --- Mark <markgofast@...> wrote:

        > I have always used (Initial Specific Gravity -
        > Final Specific
        > Gravity) X 135 to calculate the abv of a fermented
        > wash.
        >
        > Reviewing TA's site, I saw (ISG-FSG) X 129 ! ! !
        > !
        >
        > About a 5% difference. Which one is right?
        >
        > I got the 135 factor from Lines Big Book a bazillion
        > years ago. I
        > think Miller uses the same factor.
        >
        > Mark

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • rodmacd2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 11:23 AM
          For a straight sugar wash 129 is correct. I've seen the derivation of
          this from basic principles a couple of times but can't remember where.

          Maybe on Tony Ackland's WEB site. Or one of Mike Nixon's postings to
          this forum? Or one of Dr. John Stone's book?

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@h...> wrote:
          > I have always used (Initial Specific Gravity - Final Specific
          > Gravity) X 135 to calculate the abv of a fermented wash.
          >
          > Reviewing TA's site, I saw (ISG-FSG) X 129 ! ! ! !
          >
          > About a 5% difference. Which one is right?
          >
          > I got the 135 factor from Lines Big Book a bazillion years ago. I
          > think Miller uses the same factor.
          >
          > Mark
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2 12:51 PM
            It's definately not constant, unless you og/fg are
            constant.
            See:
            http://tinyurl.com/8cb2y
            http://tinyurl.com/c7wlq

            that said and done, whats a few % petween friends.
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com