Re: Head temperature - reflux still

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      Check your probe in boiling water. Note the difference between 100
      deg. C and what the unit displays. Use that number to correct your
      still temps.

      (If you're really anal like me, you'll do the same with a mixture of
      ice and water in a thermos to see the temp. difference at 0 deg. C.
      Then calculate / plot a temperature correction factor and ..... oh
      screw it....)

      +/- 1 deg C is ok for common commercial units. Lab grade stuff is
      usually +/- 0.1 deg C. And you can buy calibrated equipment that is
      even more accurate. 2 deg C is a bit much.

      Just a thought - are you sure the thermocouple and the display are
      the same "type"? There are type "J" thermocouples, type "K"
      thermocouples, type "T", type .... well, there's about 7 different
      types. J is the most common. K is common also. Using a "J" in
      a "K" unit (or vice versa) won't read accurately.

      But like another response said - it's the temp change that needs
      watched. Watch the temp, and when you are suspect of the product
      quality, switch bottles or sample the product cut to 50%abv in a
      shot glass.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "trebor0898" <rob@p...> wrote:

      My question is to do with temperature. All of the litriture says
      78.3 degrees C but mine sits steady on 76.4 throught the whole run
      until it shoots to 80 in seconds as the tails hit. It seams to me
      that 2 whole degrees (C) is a lot of difference.

      Thanks in advance,

      trebor0898 (Rob from OZ).
    • dearknarl
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
        Gday,

        Just for a second, assume the measuring device is accurate:

        Could the discrepancy be due to any cooling effects from your
        condenser? ie. falling reflux or conduction through the mount point to
        the condenser or atmosphere?

        That's what I'd put my money on. How do you mount the probe, and where?

        Cheers,
        knarl.

        On 7/31/05, trebor0898 <rob@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > This is my first post, so please be gentle.
        >
        > I have built a Nixon-Stone valved still, 2" dia and 6 feet (2m)
        > tall, it works beautifully, I get 95% all the time (neutral spirit),
        > heads are very short and basically no tails because the cut is so
        > definite.
        >
        > My design has been as a result of a lot of web research for which I
        > would like to thank the distilling community. My question is to do
        > with temperature. All of the litriture says 78.3 degrees C but mine
        > sits steady on 76.4 throught the whole run until it shoots to 80 in
        > seconds as the tails hit.
        >
        > This makes it easy to operate but I don't get it, I am using an
        > accurate digital probe and have compared it with a thermocouple. I
        > am virtually at sea level and the air presure normal. It seams to me
        > that 2 whole degrees (C) is a lot of difference.
        >
        > The probe is at the top of the column, no leaks and appears to be
        > independant of boiler heating power (within normal limits). The only
        > thing I can think of is that my column is TOO long.
        >
        > Does anyone have a comment.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > trebor0898 (Rob from OZ).

      • trebor0898
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
          Reflux enters below the probe as it is a valved offset head (like an
          H), so reflux is not cooling it down. The probe is at the top of the
          column extending down level with the t-piece which directs the
          vapour over to the condensor side.

          I tend to agree with a number of replies that the column being so
          long (over 6 feet) has losses despite insulation. The measureing
          device is accurate to .01 as I have checked it.

          Rob..

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
          > Gday,
          >
          > Just for a second, assume the measuring device is accurate:
          >
          > Could the discrepancy be due to any cooling effects from your
          > condenser? ie. falling reflux or conduction through the mount
          point to
          > the condenser or atmosphere?
          >
          > That's what I'd put my money on. How do you mount the probe, and
          where?

          > Cheers,
          > knarl.
          >
          > On 7/31/05, trebor0898 <rob@p...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > This is my first post, so please be gentle.
          > >
          > > I have built a Nixon-Stone valved still, 2" dia and 6 feet (2m)
          > > tall, it works beautifully, I get 95% all the time (neutral
          spirit),
          > > heads are very short and basically no tails because the cut is
          so
          > > definite.
          > >
          > > My design has been as a result of a lot of web research for
          which I
          > > would like to thank the distilling community. My question is to
          do
          > > with temperature. All of the litriture says 78.3 degrees C but
          mine
          > > sits steady on 76.4 throught the whole run until it shoots to 80
          in
          > > seconds as the tails hit.
          > >
          > > This makes it easy to operate but I don't get it, I am using an
          > > accurate digital probe and have compared it with a thermocouple.
          > > am virtually at sea level and the air presure normal. It seams
          to me
          > > that 2 whole degrees (C) is a lot of difference.
          > >
          > > The probe is at the top of the column, no leaks and appears to
          be
          > > independant of boiler heating power (within normal limits). The
          only
          > > thing I can think of is that my column is TOO long.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have a comment.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > >
          > > trebor0898 (Rob from OZ).

          Service.
          > > ________________________________

        • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
            This is a very *nice* point in advocating my policy of the thermometer placement not at the very top of the column but toward the lower end of the top third of the packing.

            There are a few more positive things which can be monitored with a single thermometer at lower location.

            See my writing "Mode Observations..." here http://tinyurl.com/17a

            dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:
            Gday,

            Just for a second, assume the measuring device is accurate:

            Could the discrepancy be due to any cooling effects from your condenser? ie. falling reflux or conduction through the mount point to
            the condenser or atmosphere?
            That's what I'd put my money on. How do you mount the probe, and where? Cheers, knarl.

            Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

          • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                Some things to ponder: all mentionned temperatures are right for
                certain conditions only. I'm using very accurate thermometer and my
                headtemps are around 71ºC; Water is boiling here at 91ºand a boiling
                water-ice mix is 44º.
                If one does his things in a place other than on sea-level, temps will
                change!
                By the way, I am living on a confortable height of 2600m asl (about
                9000F)and ad a good amount of sugar to my molasses and sugar-wash to
                get a little higher separationtemp. Out of neccessity i re-use most
                of this wash in my following batch, which means i am in the dunder
                job and with good results...

                will

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex _{*L*}_ \(a.k.a. BOKAKOB\)"
                <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                > This is a very *nice* point in advocating my policy of the
                thermometer placement not at the very top of the column but toward
                the lower end of the top third of the packing.

                > There are a few more positive things which can be monitored with a
                single thermometer at lower location.

                > See my writing "Mode Observations..." here http://tinyurl.com/17a
                >

                > dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
                > Gday,
                >
                > Just for a second, assume the measuring device is accurate:
                >
                > Could the discrepancy be due to any cooling effects from your
                condenser? ie. falling reflux or conduction through the mount point to
                > the condenser or atmosphere?
                > That's what I'd put my money on. How do you mount the probe, and
                where? Cheers, knarl.

                > Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

              • Robert Hubble
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                  >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
                  >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Head temperature - reflux still
                  >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:50:45 -0000
                  >
                  >Check your probe in boiling water. Note the difference between 100
                  >deg. C and what the unit displays. Use that number to correct your
                  >still temps.

                  Mark and Rob from Oz,

                  The degree of thermal isolation between the condenser and the head
                  thermometer is an important factor in accuracy of apparent head temperature.
                  Of course, this is almost entirely dependent on still design. When
                  initially testing my pot still, with all "upper plumbing" in copper with
                  almost no thermal isolation, the head temp reading would drop 2 degrees C
                  when condenser cooling water was turned on. This has to be due to the
                  condenser sapping heat from the still head through the copper vapor pipe.

                  Until I change the design, my temperature decisions are based relative
                  temperatures.