slow run, fast run? What is the difference between the two?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
      exactly a slow run or a fast run?
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
        Without more information included in the original question I'll have a
        go at answering.

        The speed of your collection dictates whether a run is fast or slow.

        A Slow run:- will result in a more pure distillate and depending on the
        size of the batch to be distilled can take a very long time. I usually
        collect at one to two drips per second.

        A fast run:- I assume you mean stripping run. A stripping run is usually
        done prior to the final slow run to reduce the size and therefore the
        amount of time required to do the slow run. different people do
        different things, many finding that a stripping run is beneficial in
        achieving a better end product. I haven't tried a stripping run as I get
        an excellent product from one good slow run.

        Hope I deciphered your question properly.
        Dean

        Dave wrote:

        >I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
        >exactly a slow run or a fast run?

      • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
          In my mind a slow run is the distillation process when the distiller targets producing the most quality out of the distillation. It translates to careful and very slow take off rate of foreshots and heads, approximately one drop per second, and then carefully distilling for main body with a rate of approximately 2~3(max) drops per second, not more. This allows close monitorinng of tails and timely change of the collecting vessel. This process yields 95% abv in proper refllux columns.

          A "fast" run I would think is the distillation when you want to "clear" the mash in order to collect the final distillate with heads and tails altogether without distinguishing phases. This distillation yields approximately 60% to 65% abv of foul product which is good for nothing.

          By the way, separating foreshots carefully during "fast" run *does* make significant better product during the second "slow" distillation.
          I posted some info about this effect earlier.

          With all said bear in mind that I mean all this info in regards to pure clear neutral alcohol delivered from 1.5"~2" columns. For flavored alcohols someone else would give more info than me.

          Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote:
          I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is exactly a slow run or a fast run?

          Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
          http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
            I'd say a slow run is one that doesn't leave enough
            time for drinking at the end, or gets screwed up due
            to drinking on the job.
            A fast run means your power controller is on the
            fritz.
            Rob.

            --- Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote:

            > I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast
            > runs...What is
            > exactly a slow run or a fast run?

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
              I guess I am not sure what I am looking for either.

              I guess if the still has more "redistillations" it'll take longer
              right? and that would be a long run?
              If I have a pot still...and less "redistillations" the run might be
              faster right? and that would be a fast run?

              Because I have a pot still hybrid...basically it's a tall column still
              without any scrubbers or packing.

              I have yet to get a chance to run it. But I was just wondering what
              exactly is a fast run or a slow run?

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:
              > I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
              > exactly a slow run or a fast run?
            • kj
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
                Have a look or better still down load this PDF file from the still spirits
                site it will give you the basics you need to know.packing in the column will
                sort of turn a pot still into a fractioning still and purity will alter from
                a straight pot still and you will have so better control..you probably will
                have to do a series of distills to get the higher purity. Good idea to go to
                the Yahoo web site and print out the FAQ and link to the home distiller
                website of Tony's and read up on the subject

                http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/20_L_Pot_Still_Instr
                uctions.pdf

                Hope this helps

                Cheers Ken Mc

                _____

                I guess I am not sure what I am looking for either.

                I guess if the still has more "redistillations" it'll take longer
                right? and that would be a long run?
                If I have a pot still...and less "redistillations" the run might be
                faster right? and that would be a fast run?

                Because I have a pot still hybrid...basically it's a tall column still
                without any scrubbers or packing.

                I have yet to get a chance to run it. But I was just wondering what
                exactly is a fast run or a slow run?

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:
                > I have been reading alot about slow runs and fast runs...What is
                > exactly a slow run or a fast run?

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "Distillers