Re: need help with neutral spirit from reflux still

  • _solecism_
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
      the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
      my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
      and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i bought
      it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
      and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
      problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my still
      or distilling process just ask
      thanks simon
    • mickm2au
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "_solecism_" <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
        > hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
        > the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
        > my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
        > and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i
        bought
        > it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
        > and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
        > problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my
        still
        > or distilling process just ask
        > thanks simon

        Hi Simon,

        I started of with one of those stills, the best I could get out of it
        on a single run was 75 - 80 %, which even after weeks on carbon was
        only just acceptable when mixed as a bourbon or rum. If you're taking
        700 ml off a batch you mey be getting tails in there. Try separating
        the output into small lots, put on carbon for a while and see if the
        middle lots taste acceptable, if so, throw the end lots back into the
        next batch. It may take a couple more runs to get through a 25 litre
        brew but if the results are acceptable its worth it.

        The alternative is to do stripping runs first and then the main runs.

        Cheers,
        Mick.

        PS. Having trouble with posts not showing up on the forum so I
        appologise in advance for any duplicates.
      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
          Hello,
          I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
          however
          from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
          of
          copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
          Copper
          is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
          (sulphates ?)
          stab in the dark
          greg
          --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
          the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
          my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits
          unlimited
          and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was
          told when i bought
          it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about
          500 - 700 mls
          and the still is made from stainless steel if you can
          help with my
          problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more
          info on my still
          or distilling process just ask
          thanks simon

          Distillers list archives :
          http://archive.nnytech.net/

          Terms of Service.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • _solecism_
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
            hey
            yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
            fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
            distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
            colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
            woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
            how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
            thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
            thnx again
            simon

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
            > however
            > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
            > of
            > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
            > Copper
            > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
            > (sulphates ?)
            > stab in the dark
            > greg

          • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
              I am not sure about quantity of the copper mesh, but I would think that the top-most location is good. In my stills I always wrap copper gauze around cooling coil. it helps in cooling of the distillate too. I would think a little on top of the regular stainless steel scrubbers, just below of the condenser would be nice as well.
              If you place it throughout the column probably you would need to clean it much more often.

              _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:
              hey
              yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
              fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
              distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
              colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
              woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
              how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
              thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
              thnx again
              simon

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
              > however
              > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
              > of
              > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
              > Copper
              > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
              > (sulphates ?)
              > stab in the dark
              > greg
              > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------

              Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
              http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                pipe sections.
                Rob.

                --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

                > hey
                > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                > what could i do to
                > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                > the still with the
                > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                > steel wool in the
                > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                > the colum or
                > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                > (copper wool) and
                > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                > it last ?
                > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                > deffinatly give it a try
                > thnx again
                > simon
                >

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                > > Hello,
                > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                > > however
                > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                > mention
                > > of
                > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                > > Copper
                > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                > nasties
                > > (sulphates ?)
                > > stab in the dark
                > > greg
                > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • _solecism_
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                  thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                  how it goes
                  hnx for the help
                  simon

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                  > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                  > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                  > pipe sections.
                  > Rob.
                  >

                  > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > hey
                  > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                  > > what could i do to
                  > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                  > > the still with the
                  > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                  > > steel wool in the
                  > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                  > > the colum or
                  > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                  > > (copper wool) and
                  > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                  > > it last ?
                  > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                  > > deffinatly give it a try
                  > > thnx again
                  > > simon
                  > >

                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                  > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                  > > > Hello,
                  > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                  > > > however
                  > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                  > > mention
                  > > > of
                  > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                  > > > Copper
                  > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                  > > nasties
                  > > > (sulphates ?)
                  > > > stab in the dark
                  > > > greg
                  > > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                • kj
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Not sure where you are from ,but try and find stainless steel pot
                    scrubbers. I found really good ones at the Bin Inn (NZ) they are all ss and
                    "course" rather than "wool" they need to be teased out and rolled into a
                    tube for insertion into the column . Can be packed fairly tightly, work
                    really well (get around 95% regularily) and clean up well. All I do now is
                    hook them out after a run and thread them onto a piece of wire and hang on
                    the clothes line,hose well and let to dry in the sun easy as.

                    Cheers

                    Ken Mc

                    _____

                    thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                    how it goes
                    hnx for the help
                    simon

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                    > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                    > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                    > pipe sections.
                    > Rob.
                    >

                    > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > hey
                    > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                    > > what could i do to
                    > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                    > > the still with the
                    > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                    > > steel wool in the
                    > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                    > > the colum or
                    > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                    > > (copper wool) and
                    > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                    > > it last ?
                    > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                    > > deffinatly give it a try
                    > > thnx again
                    > > simon
                    > >

                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                    > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Hello,
                    > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                    > > > however
                    > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                    > > mention
                    > > > of
                    > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                    > > > Copper
                    > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                    > > nasties
                    > > > (sulphates ?)
                    > > > stab in the dark
                    > > > greg