Re: [Distillers] need help with neutral spirit from reflux still

  • Rick Strang
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 5:52 PM
      What type of storage container and what abv.
      If you are useing a plastic you will need to cut to below 60% abv. Rick.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 7:09 PM
        hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
        the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
        my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
        and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i bought
        it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
        and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
        problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my still
        or distilling process just ask
        thanks simon
      • mickm2au
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 8:20 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "_solecism_" <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
          > hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
          > the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
          > my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
          > and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i
          bought
          > it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
          > and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
          > problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my
          still
          > or distilling process just ask
          > thanks simon

          Hi Simon,

          I started of with one of those stills, the best I could get out of it
          on a single run was 75 - 80 %, which even after weeks on carbon was
          only just acceptable when mixed as a bourbon or rum. If you're taking
          700 ml off a batch you mey be getting tails in there. Try separating
          the output into small lots, put on carbon for a while and see if the
          middle lots taste acceptable, if so, throw the end lots back into the
          next batch. It may take a couple more runs to get through a 25 litre
          brew but if the results are acceptable its worth it.

          The alternative is to do stripping runs first and then the main runs.

          Cheers,
          Mick.

          PS. Having trouble with posts not showing up on the forum so I
          appologise in advance for any duplicates.
        • greg tufts
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 3:18 AM
            Hello,
            I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
            however
            from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
            of
            copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
            Copper
            is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
            (sulphates ?)
            stab in the dark
            greg
            --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
            the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
            my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits
            unlimited
            and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was
            told when i bought
            it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about
            500 - 700 mls
            and the still is made from stainless steel if you can
            help with my
            problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more
            info on my still
            or distilling process just ask
            thanks simon

            Distillers list archives :
            http://archive.nnytech.net/

            Terms of Service.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • _solecism_
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2 6:39 AM
              hey
              yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
              fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
              distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
              colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
              woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
              how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
              thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
              thnx again
              simon

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
              > however
              > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
              > of
              > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
              > Copper
              > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
              > (sulphates ?)
              > stab in the dark
              > greg

            • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2 7:26 AM
                I am not sure about quantity of the copper mesh, but I would think that the top-most location is good. In my stills I always wrap copper gauze around cooling coil. it helps in cooling of the distillate too. I would think a little on top of the regular stainless steel scrubbers, just below of the condenser would be nice as well.
                If you place it throughout the column probably you would need to clean it much more often.

                _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:
                hey
                yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
                fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
                distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
                colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
                woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
                how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
                thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
                thnx again
                simon

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                > however
                > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
                > of
                > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                > Copper
                > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
                > (sulphates ?)
                > stab in the dark
                > greg
                > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------

                Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2 7:28 AM
                  Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                  scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                  pipe sections.
                  Rob.

                  --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

                  > hey
                  > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                  > what could i do to
                  > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                  > the still with the
                  > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                  > steel wool in the
                  > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                  > the colum or
                  > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                  > (copper wool) and
                  > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                  > it last ?
                  > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                  > deffinatly give it a try
                  > thnx again
                  > simon
                  >

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                  > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hello,
                  > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                  > > however
                  > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                  > mention
                  > > of
                  > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                  > > Copper
                  > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                  > nasties
                  > > (sulphates ?)
                  > > stab in the dark
                  > > greg
                  > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • _solecism_
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2 1:38 PM
                    thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                    how it goes
                    hnx for the help
                    simon

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                    > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                    > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                    > pipe sections.
                    > Rob.
                    >

                    > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > hey
                    > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                    > > what could i do to
                    > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                    > > the still with the
                    > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                    > > steel wool in the
                    > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                    > > the colum or
                    > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                    > > (copper wool) and
                    > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                    > > it last ?
                    > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                    > > deffinatly give it a try
                    > > thnx again
                    > > simon
                    > >

                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                    > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Hello,
                    > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                    > > > however
                    > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                    > > mention
                    > > > of
                    > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                    > > > Copper
                    > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                    > > nasties
                    > > > (sulphates ?)
                    > > > stab in the dark
                    > > > greg
                    > > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • kj
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2 2:11 PM
                      Not sure where you are from ,but try and find stainless steel pot
                      scrubbers. I found really good ones at the Bin Inn (NZ) they are all ss and
                      "course" rather than "wool" they need to be teased out and rolled into a
                      tube for insertion into the column . Can be packed fairly tightly, work
                      really well (get around 95% regularily) and clean up well. All I do now is
                      hook them out after a run and thread them onto a piece of wire and hang on
                      the clothes line,hose well and let to dry in the sun easy as.

                      Cheers

                      Ken Mc

                      _____

                      thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                      how it goes
                      hnx for the help
                      simon

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                      > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                      > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                      > pipe sections.
                      > Rob.
                      >

                      > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > hey
                      > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                      > > what could i do to
                      > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                      > > the still with the
                      > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                      > > steel wool in the
                      > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                      > > the colum or
                      > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                      > > (copper wool) and
                      > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                      > > it last ?
                      > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                      > > deffinatly give it a try
                      > > thnx again
                      > > simon
                      > >

                      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                      > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Hello,
                      > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                      > > > however
                      > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                      > > mention
                      > > > of
                      > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                      > > > Copper
                      > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                      > > nasties
                      > > > (sulphates ?)
                      > > > stab in the dark
                      > > > greg