Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe
      >Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >Hi Cary,
      >Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
      >I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
      >molasses.
      >I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
      >Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
      >All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
      >of stopping drying out/ dusting.

      Hi Rob,

      And horse molasses makes passable rum. Admittedly, I have to work on my cut
      procedure a bit to solve some harshness, but I think it will work out fine.
      And, at $13 US for 50 lbs, the price is right.

      zymurgy Bob

      ----snip----

      >http://mail.yahoo.com

    • cyphertt
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
        I get a 50lb bag of "sweet feed" here in eastern KY for 11.50 lasts a
        hell of a long time. Makes some of the best liker you ever tasted.
        I use the whiskey yeast. Whisky Yeast with AG is a real distillery
        whisky yeast with Amyloglucosidase, and is used in some of the finest
        whisky distilleries in the world. It breaks down the sugars in the
        grain itself. I boil the feed for a few minutes and let her cool then
        pitch the yeast. Takes a little while to ferment, like 7 to 10 days,
        but its worth it. Had an old timer (in his 70's) tell me that this
        drink puts some of the stuff he used to make to shame. I don't sell
        it. I drink it. Friends want a quart, I give it to 'em. Start selling
        it and you get to the point where you ain't giving a shit about
        quality, just quantity. Not to mention the fact that somebody (no
        matter how well you trust them) is going to talk. Before you know it,
        the law is looking at you. Three months out of the year, I miss my
        hobby (December thru March) but come spring, I'm right back at what I
        love best. Making the recipe.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>