Re: need help with neutral spirit from reflux still

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "_solecism_" <pugsdman@h...>
      wrote:
      > hi this is my first post
      > i have bought a reflux still i am using Alcotec Turbo 8 <-Yeast
      > and 8 kg of sugar as directed on packet once it has been distilled
      it
      > has a decent smell tatse once i then put the carbon into the
      storage
      > container with the distillate and leave for 2 - 4 weeks or longer
      when
      > i filter it through a coffee filter and get rid of spent carbon it
      has
      > a bad tatse similar to metho or thats what it seems like to me and
      > when i flavour it to a bourbon or anything like schnapps etc if i
      cut
      > it back to %40 it tastes pretty bad the only way it can be
      drinkable
      > without the bad flavour / odour is to cut it back to %20 or less
      but
      > the flavour/odour is still there can anyone help me out with a way
      > filter it or something i have tryed more and less carbon, different
      > carbon incase it was a bad batch or something etc.. and even
      leaving
      > it longer on carbon
      > can anyone help me would be greatly appreaciated
      > also i found on a webpage where they froze the spirit for 3 days
      > because the water and fusils stick together would this be any good
      > me ? ( i think it is only for a pot still ) not sure thanks in
      advance
      > for your help
      >
      > simon

      Hi Simon,
      You need to post exact details of your still, its construction and
      materials, and your operating methods. Then we can sort out the
      problem.

    • Rick Strang
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
        What type of storage container and what abv.
        If you are useing a plastic you will need to cut to below 60% abv. Rick.
        i have bought a reflux still i am using Alcotec Turbo 8 <-Yeast
        and 8 kg of sugar as directed on packet once it has been distilled it
        has a decent smell tatse once i then put the carbon into the storage
        container with the distillate and leave for 2 - 4 weeks or longer when
        i filter it through a coffee filter and get rid of spent carbon it has
        a bad tatse similar to metho or thats what it seems like to me and
        when i flavour it to a bourbon or anything like schnapps etc if i cut
        it back to %40 it tastes pretty bad the only way it can be drinkable
        without the bad flavour / odour is to cut it back to %20 or less but
        the flavour/odour is still there can anyone help me out with a way to
        filter it or something i have tryed more and less carbon, different
        carbon incase it was a bad batch or something etc.. and even leaving
        it longer on carbon
        can anyone help me would be greatly appreaciated
        also i found on a webpage where they froze the spirit for 3 days
        because the water and fusils stick together would this be any good to
        me ? ( i think it is only for a pot still ) not sure thanks in advance
        for your help

        simon

        Culture

      • _solecism_
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
          hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
          the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
          my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
          and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i bought
          it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
          and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
          problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my still
          or distilling process just ask
          thanks simon
        • mickm2au
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "_solecism_" <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
            > hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
            > the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
            > my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
            > and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i
            bought
            > it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
            > and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
            > problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my
            still
            > or distilling process just ask
            > thanks simon

            Hi Simon,

            I started of with one of those stills, the best I could get out of it
            on a single run was 75 - 80 %, which even after weeks on carbon was
            only just acceptable when mixed as a bourbon or rum. If you're taking
            700 ml off a batch you mey be getting tails in there. Try separating
            the output into small lots, put on carbon for a while and see if the
            middle lots taste acceptable, if so, throw the end lots back into the
            next batch. It may take a couple more runs to get through a 25 litre
            brew but if the results are acceptable its worth it.

            The alternative is to do stripping runs first and then the main runs.

            Cheers,
            Mick.

            PS. Having trouble with posts not showing up on the forum so I
            appologise in advance for any duplicates.
          • greg tufts
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hello,
              I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
              however
              from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
              of
              copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
              Copper
              is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
              (sulphates ?)
              stab in the dark
              greg
              --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
              the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
              my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits
              unlimited
              and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was
              told when i bought
              it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about
              500 - 700 mls
              and the still is made from stainless steel if you can
              help with my
              problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more
              info on my still
              or distilling process just ask
              thanks simon

              Distillers list archives :
              http://archive.nnytech.net/

              Terms of Service.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • _solecism_
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                hey
                yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
                fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
                distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
                colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
                woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
                how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
                thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
                thnx again
                simon

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                > however
                > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
                > of
                > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                > Copper
                > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
                > (sulphates ?)
                > stab in the dark
                > greg

              • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                  I am not sure about quantity of the copper mesh, but I would think that the top-most location is good. In my stills I always wrap copper gauze around cooling coil. it helps in cooling of the distillate too. I would think a little on top of the regular stainless steel scrubbers, just below of the condenser would be nice as well.
                  If you place it throughout the column probably you would need to clean it much more often.

                  _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:
                  hey
                  yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
                  fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
                  distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
                  colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
                  woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
                  how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
                  thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
                  thnx again
                  simon

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                  > however
                  > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
                  > of
                  > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                  > Copper
                  > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
                  > (sulphates ?)
                  > stab in the dark
                  > greg
                  > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------

                  Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                  http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                    scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                    pipe sections.
                    Rob.

                    --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

                    > hey
                    > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                    > what could i do to
                    > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                    > the still with the
                    > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                    > steel wool in the
                    > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                    > the colum or
                    > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                    > (copper wool) and
                    > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                    > it last ?
                    > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                    > deffinatly give it a try
                    > thnx again
                    > simon
                    >

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                    > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                    > > Hello,
                    > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                    > > however
                    > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                    > mention
                    > > of
                    > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                    > > Copper
                    > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                    > nasties
                    > > (sulphates ?)
                    > > stab in the dark
                    > > greg
                    > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • _solecism_
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                      thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                      how it goes
                      hnx for the help
                      simon

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                      > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                      > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                      > pipe sections.
                      > Rob.
                      >

                      > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > hey
                      > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                      > > what could i do to
                      > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                      > > the still with the
                      > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                      > > steel wool in the
                      > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                      > > the colum or
                      > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                      > > (copper wool) and
                      > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                      > > it last ?
                      > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                      > > deffinatly give it a try
                      > > thnx again
                      > > simon
                      > >

                      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                      > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Hello,
                      > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                      > > > however
                      > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                      > > mention
                      > > > of
                      > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                      > > > Copper
                      > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                      > > nasties
                      > > > (sulphates ?)
                      > > > stab in the dark
                      > > > greg
                      > > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • kj
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Not sure where you are from ,but try and find stainless steel pot
                        scrubbers. I found really good ones at the Bin Inn (NZ) they are all ss and
                        "course" rather than "wool" they need to be teased out and rolled into a
                        tube for insertion into the column . Can be packed fairly tightly, work
                        really well (get around 95% regularily) and clean up well. All I do now is
                        hook them out after a run and thread them onto a piece of wire and hang on
                        the clothes line,hose well and let to dry in the sun easy as.

                        Cheers

                        Ken Mc

                        _____

                        thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                        how it goes
                        hnx for the help
                        simon

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                        > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                        > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                        > pipe sections.
                        > Rob.
                        >

                        > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > hey
                        > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                        > > what could i do to
                        > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                        > > the still with the
                        > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                        > > steel wool in the
                        > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                        > > the colum or
                        > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                        > > (copper wool) and
                        > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                        > > it last ?
                        > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                        > > deffinatly give it a try
                        > > thnx again
                        > > simon
                        > >

                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                        > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Hello,
                        > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                        > > > however
                        > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                        > > mention
                        > > > of
                        > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                        > > > Copper
                        > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                        > > nasties
                        > > > (sulphates ?)
                        > > > stab in the dark
                        > > > greg