need help with neutral spirit from reflux still

  • _solecism_
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      hi this is my first post
      i have bought a reflux still i am using Alcotec Turbo 8 <-Yeast
      and 8 kg of sugar as directed on packet once it has been distilled it
      has a decent smell tatse once i then put the carbon into the storage
      container with the distillate and leave for 2 - 4 weeks or longer when
      i filter it through a coffee filter and get rid of spent carbon it has
      a bad tatse similar to metho or thats what it seems like to me and
      when i flavour it to a bourbon or anything like schnapps etc if i cut
      it back to %40 it tastes pretty bad the only way it can be drinkable
      without the bad flavour / odour is to cut it back to %20 or less but
      the flavour/odour is still there can anyone help me out with a way to
      filter it or something i have tryed more and less carbon, different
      carbon incase it was a bad batch or something etc.. and even leaving
      it longer on carbon
      can anyone help me would be greatly appreaciated
      also i found on a webpage where they froze the spirit for 3 days
      because the water and fusils stick together would this be any good to
      me ? ( i think it is only for a pot still ) not sure thanks in advance
      for your help

      simon
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "_solecism_" <pugsdman@h...>
        wrote:
        > hi this is my first post
        > i have bought a reflux still i am using Alcotec Turbo 8 <-Yeast
        > and 8 kg of sugar as directed on packet once it has been distilled
        it
        > has a decent smell tatse once i then put the carbon into the
        storage
        > container with the distillate and leave for 2 - 4 weeks or longer
        when
        > i filter it through a coffee filter and get rid of spent carbon it
        has
        > a bad tatse similar to metho or thats what it seems like to me and
        > when i flavour it to a bourbon or anything like schnapps etc if i
        cut
        > it back to %40 it tastes pretty bad the only way it can be
        drinkable
        > without the bad flavour / odour is to cut it back to %20 or less
        but
        > the flavour/odour is still there can anyone help me out with a way
        > filter it or something i have tryed more and less carbon, different
        > carbon incase it was a bad batch or something etc.. and even
        leaving
        > it longer on carbon
        > can anyone help me would be greatly appreaciated
        > also i found on a webpage where they froze the spirit for 3 days
        > because the water and fusils stick together would this be any good
        > me ? ( i think it is only for a pot still ) not sure thanks in
        advance
        > for your help
        >
        > simon

        Hi Simon,
        You need to post exact details of your still, its construction and
        materials, and your operating methods. Then we can sort out the
        problem.

      • Rick Strang
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
          What type of storage container and what abv.
          If you are useing a plastic you will need to cut to below 60% abv. Rick.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
            hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
            the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
            my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
            and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i bought
            it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
            and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
            problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my still
            or distilling process just ask
            thanks simon
          • mickm2au
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "_solecism_" <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
              > hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
              > the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
              > my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits unlimited
              > and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was told when i
              bought
              > it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about 500 - 700 mls
              > and the still is made from stainless steel if you can help with my
              > problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more info on my
              still
              > or distilling process just ask
              > thanks simon

              Hi Simon,

              I started of with one of those stills, the best I could get out of it
              on a single run was 75 - 80 %, which even after weeks on carbon was
              only just acceptable when mixed as a bourbon or rum. If you're taking
              700 ml off a batch you mey be getting tails in there. Try separating
              the output into small lots, put on carbon for a while and see if the
              middle lots taste acceptable, if so, throw the end lots back into the
              next batch. It may take a couple more runs to get through a 25 litre
              brew but if the results are acceptable its worth it.

              The alternative is to do stripping runs first and then the main runs.

              Cheers,
              Mick.

              PS. Having trouble with posts not showing up on the forum so I
              appologise in advance for any duplicates.
            • greg tufts
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                Hello,
                I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                however
                from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
                of
                copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                Copper
                is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
                (sulphates ?)
                stab in the dark
                greg
                --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
                hi i am using glass bottles as storage containers
                the carbon i am using is just a standard reflux carbon
                my still is a euro 5 reflux still and made by spirits
                unlimited
                and i run it at 74 - 76 celsius wich is what i was
                told when i bought
                it its a 5lt still takes around 3 hours to get about
                500 - 700 mls
                and the still is made from stainless steel if you can
                help with my
                problem would be greatly appreciated if you need more
                info on my still
                or distilling process just ask
                thanks simon

                Distillers list archives :
                http://archive.nnytech.net/

                Terms of Service.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • _solecism_
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                  hey
                  yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
                  fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
                  distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
                  colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
                  woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
                  how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
                  thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
                  thnx again
                  simon

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                  > however
                  > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
                  > of
                  > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                  > Copper
                  > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
                  > (sulphates ?)
                  > stab in the dark
                  > greg

                • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                    I am not sure about quantity of the copper mesh, but I would think that the top-most location is good. In my stills I always wrap copper gauze around cooling coil. it helps in cooling of the distillate too. I would think a little on top of the regular stainless steel scrubbers, just below of the condenser would be nice as well.
                    If you place it throughout the column probably you would need to clean it much more often.

                    _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:
                    hey
                    yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so what could i do to
                    fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in the still with the
                    distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless steel wool in the
                    colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in the colum or
                    woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool (copper wool) and
                    how much would i need to use and how many runs would it last ?
                    thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will deffinatly give it a try
                    thnx again
                    simon

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                    > however
                    > from the info I gathered from google, I see no mention
                    > of
                    > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                    > Copper
                    > is a needed in a still to remove some of the nasties
                    > (sulphates ?)
                    > stab in the dark
                    > greg
                    > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                    ---------------------------------

                    Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                      scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                      pipe sections.
                      Rob.

                      --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@...> wrote:

                      > hey
                      > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                      > what could i do to
                      > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                      > the still with the
                      > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                      > steel wool in the
                      > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                      > the colum or
                      > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                      > (copper wool) and
                      > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                      > it last ?
                      > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                      > deffinatly give it a try
                      > thnx again
                      > simon
                      >

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                      > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hello,
                      > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                      > > however
                      > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                      > mention
                      > > of
                      > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                      > > Copper
                      > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                      > nasties
                      > > (sulphates ?)
                      > > stab in the dark
                      > > greg
                      > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • _solecism_
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                        thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                        how it goes
                        hnx for the help
                        simon

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                        > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                        > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                        > pipe sections.
                        > Rob.
                        >

                        > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > hey
                        > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                        > > what could i do to
                        > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                        > > the still with the
                        > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                        > > steel wool in the
                        > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                        > > the colum or
                        > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                        > > (copper wool) and
                        > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                        > > it last ?
                        > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                        > > deffinatly give it a try
                        > > thnx again
                        > > simon
                        > >

                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                        > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Hello,
                        > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                        > > > however
                        > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                        > > mention
                        > > > of
                        > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                        > > > Copper
                        > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                        > > nasties
                        > > > (sulphates ?)
                        > > > stab in the dark
                        > > > greg
                        > > > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • kj
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                          Not sure where you are from ,but try and find stainless steel pot
                          scrubbers. I found really good ones at the Bin Inn (NZ) they are all ss and
                          "course" rather than "wool" they need to be teased out and rolled into a
                          tube for insertion into the column . Can be packed fairly tightly, work
                          really well (get around 95% regularily) and clean up well. All I do now is
                          hook them out after a run and thread them onto a piece of wire and hang on
                          the clothes line,hose well and let to dry in the sun easy as.

                          Cheers

                          Ken Mc

                          _____

                          thnx for the help guys will buy some copper mesh today and wire see
                          how it goes
                          hnx for the help
                          simon

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                          > Try lengths of copper wire pushed up thru the
                          > scrubbers. They won't introduce undanted "spaces" like
                          > pipe sections.
                          > Rob.
                          >

                          > --- _solecism_ <pugsdman@h...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > hey
                          > > yeah true there is no copper in it what so ever so
                          > > what could i do to
                          > > fix it can i cut some copper pipe and chuck it in
                          > > the still with the
                          > > distillate or doest it have to be like the stainless
                          > > steel wool in the
                          > > colum ? could i put cut up pieces of copper pipe in
                          > > the colum or
                          > > woul;d it have to be like the stainless steel wool
                          > > (copper wool) and
                          > > how much would i need to use and how many runs would
                          > > it last ?
                          > > thanks for the help man greatly appreciated will
                          > > deffinatly give it a try
                          > > thnx again
                          > > simon
                          > >

                          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                          > > <gregtufts@y...> wrote:
                          > > > Hello,
                          > > > I am not familiar withe the euro 5 reflux still,
                          > > > however
                          > > > from the info I gathered from google, I see no
                          > > mention
                          > > > of
                          > > > copper in the still any where in the descriptions.
                          > > > Copper
                          > > > is a needed in a still to remove some of the
                          > > nasties
                          > > > (sulphates ?)
                          > > > stab in the dark
                          > > > greg