Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Cary,
      Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
      I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
      molasses.
      I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
      Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
      All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
      of stopping drying out/ dusting.

      Cheers,
      Rob
      p.s. the kitchen is very noisy with bubblers going!~!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
        wrote:
        > If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
        > remains that are left to stand. They have no
        > yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
        > want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
        > will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
        > holding my breath (or should that be holding my
        > breath!).
        > Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
        > of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
        > antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
        > to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
        > still off as an ester it might interfere.
        > Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
        > Rob.

        I wouldn't worry about the propionic acid, in fact it should help
        with your rum flavour. Propionic acid and iso-butyl alcohol (aka
        Propanol, found in the later portion of tails as a fusel) form the
        ester iso-butyl propionate [CH3CH2CO2CH2CH(CH3)2] which is literally
        rum flavour as prepared in the flavouring industry.

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe
          >Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Hi Cary,
          >Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
          >I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
          >molasses.
          >I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
          >Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
          >All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
          >of stopping drying out/ dusting.

          Hi Rob,

          And horse molasses makes passable rum. Admittedly, I have to work on my cut
          procedure a bit to solve some harshness, but I think it will work out fine.
          And, at $13 US for 50 lbs, the price is right.

          zymurgy Bob

          ----snip----

          >http://mail.yahoo.com

        • cyphertt
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
            I get a 50lb bag of "sweet feed" here in eastern KY for 11.50 lasts a
            hell of a long time. Makes some of the best liker you ever tasted.
            I use the whiskey yeast. Whisky Yeast with AG is a real distillery
            whisky yeast with Amyloglucosidase, and is used in some of the finest
            whisky distilleries in the world. It breaks down the sugars in the
            grain itself. I boil the feed for a few minutes and let her cool then
            pitch the yeast. Takes a little while to ferment, like 7 to 10 days,
            but its worth it. Had an old timer (in his 70's) tell me that this
            drink puts some of the stuff he used to make to shame. I don't sell
            it. I drink it. Friends want a quart, I give it to 'em. Start selling
            it and you get to the point where you ain't giving a shit about
            quality, just quantity. Not to mention the fact that somebody (no
            matter how well you trust them) is going to talk. Before you know it,
            the law is looking at you. Three months out of the year, I miss my
            hobby (December thru March) but come spring, I'm right back at what I
            love best. Making the recipe.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>