Re: [Distillers] recipe

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Also saw this:
      Propionic acid is a clear, colorless liquid with a
      slightly sweetish odor. It is soluble in water and
      alcohol; melts at -21 C, boils at 141 C. It is used as
      a preservative in feed and food industry directly or
      in the forms of ammonium propionate, calcium and
      sodium propionates. It is used to manufacture various
      propionates which used in the reduction of
      pharmaceuticals, anti-fungal agents, agrochemicals,
      plastics, plasticizers, rubber chemicals, dyes,
      artificial flavors and perfumery synthetics. It is
      used also as a solvent and in nickel-electroplating
      solutions. Ethyl Propionate is used in perfumery and
      fragrance. Odor description: fruity rum juicy fruit.

      So it might actually be good in rum!
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        use ALL GRAIN horse feed.

        Its the higher priced product.

        It works fine. I made up a batch yesterday.

        About 2 inches of horse feed in the primary fermenter, 12 lbs sugar,
        couple pints of cracked corn, your favorite yeast. I used Black
        Label yesterday.

        You might add a little Amalyse enzyme to convert some of the starches
        in the grain.

        cary

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <clemewa@y...> wrote:
        > I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
        know
        > but has anyone tried this???
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi Cary,
          Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
          I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
          molasses.
          I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
          Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
          All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
          of stopping drying out/ dusting.

          Cheers,
          Rob
          p.s. the kitchen is very noisy with bubblers going!~!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
            wrote:
            > If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
            > remains that are left to stand. They have no
            > yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
            > want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
            > will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
            > holding my breath (or should that be holding my
            > breath!).
            > Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
            > of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
            > antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
            > to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
            > still off as an ester it might interfere.
            > Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
            > Rob.

            I wouldn't worry about the propionic acid, in fact it should help
            with your rum flavour. Propionic acid and iso-butyl alcohol (aka
            Propanol, found in the later portion of tails as a fusel) form the
            ester iso-butyl propionate [CH3CH2CO2CH2CH(CH3)2] which is literally
            rum flavour as prepared in the flavouring industry.

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
              >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe
              >Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Hi Cary,
              >Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
              >I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
              >molasses.
              >I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
              >Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
              >All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
              >of stopping drying out/ dusting.

              Hi Rob,

              And horse molasses makes passable rum. Admittedly, I have to work on my cut
              procedure a bit to solve some harshness, but I think it will work out fine.
              And, at $13 US for 50 lbs, the price is right.

              zymurgy Bob

              ----snip----

              >http://mail.yahoo.com

            • cyphertt
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
                I get a 50lb bag of "sweet feed" here in eastern KY for 11.50 lasts a
                hell of a long time. Makes some of the best liker you ever tasted.
                I use the whiskey yeast. Whisky Yeast with AG is a real distillery
                whisky yeast with Amyloglucosidase, and is used in some of the finest
                whisky distilleries in the world. It breaks down the sugars in the
                grain itself. I boil the feed for a few minutes and let her cool then
                pitch the yeast. Takes a little while to ferment, like 7 to 10 days,
                but its worth it. Had an old timer (in his 70's) tell me that this
                drink puts some of the stuff he used to make to shame. I don't sell
                it. I drink it. Friends want a quart, I give it to 'em. Start selling
                it and you get to the point where you ain't giving a shit about
                quality, just quantity. Not to mention the fact that somebody (no
                matter how well you trust them) is going to talk. Before you know it,
                the law is looking at you. Three months out of the year, I miss my
                hobby (December thru March) but come spring, I'm right back at what I
                love best. Making the recipe.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>