Re: [Distillers] recipe

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
      remains that are left to stand. They have no
      yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
      want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
      will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
      holding my breath (or should that be holding my
      breath!).
      Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
      of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
      antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
      to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
      still off as an ester it might interfere.
      Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
      Rob.

      --- donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > Some sweet feed has additives in it . Some of these
      > are not good for making beverages. Check the
      > ingredients very carefully before using. I know some
      > guys who tried it , they said it was good I didnt
      > try it. I have used scratch chicken feed and brown
      > sugar. The beer was better than the likker.I use
      > mostly cornmeal barley and rye .I got a rye sour
      > mash working now. I need to make some rum soon. I
      > might try the dunder method .I like black rum like
      > Myers.
      >
      > Alan <clemewa@...> wrote:I seen a recipe
      > awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
      > know
      > but has anyone tried this???
      >

      > Distillers list archives :
      > http://archive.nnytech.net/
      > FAQ and other information at
      > http://homedistiller.org

      > Management team Food and drink Organizational
      > culture Culture

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------

      > removed]

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        Also saw this:
        Propionic acid is a clear, colorless liquid with a
        slightly sweetish odor. It is soluble in water and
        alcohol; melts at -21 C, boils at 141 C. It is used as
        a preservative in feed and food industry directly or
        in the forms of ammonium propionate, calcium and
        sodium propionates. It is used to manufacture various
        propionates which used in the reduction of
        pharmaceuticals, anti-fungal agents, agrochemicals,
        plastics, plasticizers, rubber chemicals, dyes,
        artificial flavors and perfumery synthetics. It is
        used also as a solvent and in nickel-electroplating
        solutions. Ethyl Propionate is used in perfumery and
        fragrance. Odor description: fruity rum juicy fruit.

        So it might actually be good in rum!
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          use ALL GRAIN horse feed.

          Its the higher priced product.

          It works fine. I made up a batch yesterday.

          About 2 inches of horse feed in the primary fermenter, 12 lbs sugar,
          couple pints of cracked corn, your favorite yeast. I used Black
          Label yesterday.

          You might add a little Amalyse enzyme to convert some of the starches
          in the grain.

          cary

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <clemewa@y...> wrote:
          > I seen a recipe awhile back using sweet horse feed.......silly i
          know
          > but has anyone tried this???
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            Hi Cary,
            Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
            I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
            molasses.
            I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
            Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
            All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
            of stopping drying out/ dusting.

            Cheers,
            Rob
            p.s. the kitchen is very noisy with bubblers going!~!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
              wrote:
              > If you're gonna try dunder, note that it is the still
              > remains that are left to stand. They have no
              > yeast-fermentables, the pH is ca 5-7. Also, you might
              > want to waft them around a rum-distillery first. I
              > will indead leave mine hanging about a bit, but not
              > holding my breath (or should that be holding my
              > breath!).
              > Also, I noted in my horse feed molasses the inclusion
              > of propionic acid as preservative. I know it's
              > antifungal, it may be antibacterial (it doesn't seem
              > to be anti-bakers' yeast so far), but if it doesn't
              > still off as an ester it might interfere.
              > Good luck, and keep the clothes pegs handy!
              > Rob.

              I wouldn't worry about the propionic acid, in fact it should help
              with your rum flavour. Propionic acid and iso-butyl alcohol (aka
              Propanol, found in the later portion of tails as a fusel) form the
              ester iso-butyl propionate [CH3CH2CO2CH2CH(CH3)2] which is literally
              rum flavour as prepared in the flavouring industry.

            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: recipe
                >Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
                >
                >Hi Cary,
                >Sorry, talking at cross purposes!
                >I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of horse
                >molasses.
                >I actually have no idea what's in "horse feed".
                >Enlighten me (and maybe a few others).
                >All I know it horse molases is a suplement or a method
                >of stopping drying out/ dusting.

                Hi Rob,

                And horse molasses makes passable rum. Admittedly, I have to work on my cut
                procedure a bit to solve some harshness, but I think it will work out fine.
                And, at $13 US for 50 lbs, the price is right.

                zymurgy Bob

                ----snip----

                >http://mail.yahoo.com

              • cyphertt
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
                  I get a 50lb bag of "sweet feed" here in eastern KY for 11.50 lasts a
                  hell of a long time. Makes some of the best liker you ever tasted.
                  I use the whiskey yeast. Whisky Yeast with AG is a real distillery
                  whisky yeast with Amyloglucosidase, and is used in some of the finest
                  whisky distilleries in the world. It breaks down the sugars in the
                  grain itself. I boil the feed for a few minutes and let her cool then
                  pitch the yeast. Takes a little while to ferment, like 7 to 10 days,
                  but its worth it. Had an old timer (in his 70's) tell me that this
                  drink puts some of the stuff he used to make to shame. I don't sell
                  it. I drink it. Friends want a quart, I give it to 'em. Start selling
                  it and you get to the point where you ain't giving a shit about
                  quality, just quantity. Not to mention the fact that somebody (no
                  matter how well you trust them) is going to talk. Before you know it,
                  the law is looking at you. Three months out of the year, I miss my
                  hobby (December thru March) but come spring, I'm right back at what I
                  love best. Making the recipe.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>